Author Topic: Library search failure for Morgan Lewis born 6 Feb 1877 in Abersychan  (Read 4105 times)

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
Re: Library search failure
« Reply #18 on: Friday 15 January 16 13:34 GMT (UK) »
I put that death in Pontypool district on because they were still in Monmouthshire when Elizabeth was born so it depends really when they moved back to Aberdare. Did they move back to be nearer David's family after Margaret's death?

Yes that would sound feasible so the family in Aberdare could support the children. Was Blaina in the Pontypool registration district at that time?
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton
Llewellyn - Cardiff & Pembroke

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 15 January 16 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find which reg district Blaina actually belongs to. But Margaret could have been in hospital which could mean Pontypool. I know my grandfather's death is recorded as Pontypool whereas he actually lived in Abergavenny.

Clutching at straws really. The only way to find out would be to order a death certificate. The Merthyr one actually looks better for age.

1871 census - they are living in their own home. Margaret born Breconshire (Brecknockshire). I have now found that it was Hirwaun (could not read it before) which is half in Brecon & half in Aberdare! No wonder her birthplace changes in future census.

Offline seaweed

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll see you one day in Fiddlers Green.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 15 January 16 13:41 GMT (UK) »
I looked at the entry on FindMyPast suggested by Smudwhisk. Two important details. One, his discharge A number 136287 and Two, his first class engineers BOT certificate number 39502. Both these numbers are unique to him and are important to find other details of his sea going career. The ID number is of little consequence.
When you go to the library, hit the search option in the toolbar on FindMyPast, then go to Education and Work. Type his name and take the Merchant Navy and Maritime option in the sub category, hit apply filter,  then search and bingo.

He should have records in the series BT139 and BT142 at the National Archive, as far as I am aware these are not online and you would need to visit Kew to view. These should give details of his entire sea going career.

The number 124326 is the official number of the ship SUTHERLAND GRANGE which he served on for most of 1919. Her 1919  Logbooks and Crew Agreements are available from here.

https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/viewcombinedcrews.php?Official_No=124326

SUTHERLAND GRANGE ex GARDENIA was owned by the Houlder Line who traded mainly to South America. I know she made at least one voyage to the Plate in 1919.

His WW1 medal card is downloadable from here.

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/details/r/D8049539
Dim ateb yn well nag ateb anghywir. Nid oes dim yn ddall fel rhai nad ydynt yn dymuno gweld

RIP Roger 10 August 2022

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 15 January 16 16:30 GMT (UK) »
I am struggling to find which reg district Blaina actually belongs to.

Bedwellty!

My mother was born in Blaina; that's how I know! ;D

Blaina was in the parish of Aberystruth
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 13:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks everyone for the further information you have found and will follow these leads Asap.
On the way to the library to search for earlier census records for David Lewis (1841 1851 1861) I slipped on the icy pavements and sprained my ankle so my search will have to wait until I am back on my feet!!
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 14:09 GMT (UK) »
sorry to hear about your ankle. Let us know if there is anything else those of us with access to records can help you with

Offline wdytya

• RootsChat Senior
  • wdytya
    • View Profile
Re: Library search failure for Morgan Lewis born 6 Feb 1877 in Abersychan
« Reply #24 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 15:41 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lansann, if you can find David Lewis on the 1841 1851 and 1861 census that would be great. In my previous posts I have provided all the information I know about David, his wife and family.
Dewis - London
Garmonsway - London
Craze - Dunster
Francis - Hilperton

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 18:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Sorry to hear that you have sprained your ankle in the icy conditions.

This 1861 is a possibility as David's father and nephew is called Jenkin. That name was given to 'your' David Lewis' child.

Jenkin Lewis   64 b. Merthyr-Tydfil, Glamorgan Stone Mason
Elizabeth Lewis   60 b. Brecon
David Lewis   28 b. Aberdare, Glamorgan Coal Miner
Jenkin Lewis   Grandson 4 b. Aberdare, Glamorgan

RG9 Piece 4066 Folio 70 Page 41, 10 Mary Street, Aberdare.

My only reservation with the above is that David's occupation in 1871 is a fireman blast furnace where the above David is a coal miner.

JJ

Offline JJen

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 18:48 GMT (UK) »
1851 for the above Lewis family -

Jenkin Lewis   54 Mason b. Glamorgan
Elizabeth Lewis   50 b. St Mary, Breconshire
Morgan Lewis   19 Collier b. Aberdare, Glamorgan
David Lewis   18 Collier b. Glamorgan

HO107 Piece 2460 Folio 78 Page 32, Aberdare.

Do you have David Lewis' marriage cert to Margaret which should give his father's name and occupation? This would then confirm or discount the above census.

JJ