Author Topic: Cheshire Wills from CRO for GEORGE POVALL Need help please  (Read 991 times)

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cheshire Wills from CRO for GEORGE POVALL Need help please
« on: Wednesday 13 January 16 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello I'm a bit confused and looking for some help on wills and probate type stuff in simple laymans terms  :)

Today on Ancestry on a hint for George POVALL who died in 1871 it threw up the probate record for 1872, I know you can get wills for £4 on the Cheshire Record Office site so off I went.  I couldn't find him in a search and also noted that the site said you could look at them for free on Find My Past for which I have a subscription, so I went to FindMyPast and couldn't find him on there either.

So then I went to the government site where they charge you £10 for a will and sure enough there he is.  This is not a direct ancestor of mine and I just wanted to buy it out of curiousity really.  I'd prefer it for FREE (FindMyPast) or £4 not £10.

His brother John who died in 1874 has his will on both the Cheshire site and FindMyPast (I bought it quite a few years ago) as I checked today.

What am I doing wrong?  Is it something to do with the type of will it is? 
Williams, Owens, Pritchard, Povall, Banks, Brown.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Cheshire Wills from CRO for GEORGE POVALL Need help please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 19:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beeonthebay,

I Have taken a quick look on the government beta probate site here: https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Povall&yearOfDeath=1872&page=3#calendar

There is only the one George Povall, who died on 4th November 1871 in Peckforton in the parish of Bunbury, Chester a shoemaker. Probate granted 22nd August 1872. Is this him? If so only 'administration of effects' was granted, there is no will. The probate record is all there is I'm afraid.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beeonthebay,

I Have taken a quick look on the government beta probate site here: https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/Calendar?surname=Povall&yearOfDeath=1872&page=3#calendar

There is only the one George Povall, who died on 4th November 1871 in Peckforton in the parish of Bunbury, Chester a shoemaker. Probate granted 22nd August 1872. Is this him? If so only 'administration of effects' was granted, there is no will. The probate record is all there is I'm afraid.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David

Yes that is him David and I thank you kindly for your post.  I really don't understand all this stuff, so please bear with me  :D  so does this mean he didn't leave a will and it was left to "somebody" ??  to sort out his money (if any) after his death?  If so why do some people have this "administration of effects" and not all people who die without leaving a will have one?

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 21:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Beeonthebay,

As to your first question, it is probable that he (George Povall) did die intestate, ie, did not leave a will. As regards your second question re admin, it can be that the family left behind decide that applying for admin is not needed or required. There will probably be other reasons, but I am not fully au fait with probate rules myself.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 23:15 GMT (UK) »
If someone who dies intestate had very little to leave, it is not necessary to apply to probate for administration.

I deal with such a case six years ago, the deceased left barely enough in savings  to cover the  funeral, a couple of small insurance policies were paid out direct to the next of kin on production of the death certificate, they were small enough not to require Administration.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 January 16 00:18 GMT (UK) »
Church Courts stopped having responsibility for proving Wills and Administrations in 1858. After that date Civil Courts took over responsibility.

While some archives hold copies of some post 1858 wills, I understand from some archives websites that they aren't permitted to provide copies so Cheshire must have been an exception rather than the norm. If you want a copy of one post 1858, you will normally now have to pay £10. However, as has been said, if it says Administration and not Probate, you won't get any more information than is contained in the Calendar.

Some Administrations can involve large estates but without a Will, there won't be any detail.

Bee, the hint you got on ancestry was from the National Probate Calendar which relates to Wills and Administrations from mid 1858 onwards.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline Beeonthebay

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 January 16 06:03 GMT (UK) »
Thank you very much everybody, I will pay more attention in future as I don't want to be wasting any money!!  With genealogy you are always learning something new every day.   ;D