Author Topic: Deaths by drowning in floods, Abergavenny  (Read 2278 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Deaths by drowning in floods, Abergavenny
« on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi, can anyone suggest the best place to look for details of floods in Abergavenny (maybe Mill St), where a mother and her 'disabled' son were drowned. I've tried any number of google searches and newspapers (though I rarely find anything in the papers).

Mother Sarah Davies was born in 1855, son around 1890, believed - but not confirmed - to be William Davies, shown as feeble minded on the 1911 census, at 26 Mill St, Abergavenny. Family story is that they were drowned while trying to escape a flood, maybe even from the roof of their house, but that is as much as we know, no idea of date other than I guess by 1935 when Sarah would have been 80.

There are 2 William Davies (born 1889-1891) deaths in Abergavenny, one in 1915 and 1 in 1918 but there's no Sarah death in the same quarter.

Any suggestions re newspapers or books etc would be most welcome.

Many thanks,

Deirdre 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline wilcoxon

• -
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barry Sheene 1950-2003
    • View Profile
Re: Deaths by drowning in floods, Abergavenny
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:45 GMT (UK) »
Census information is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Annette, confirmation that the area was known to flood, but sadly no Sarah or William deaths in 1931 when the severe floods were mentioned. 
Deirdre
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline jaybelnz

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Runaway Bride! Thanks to Paula Too!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 13 January 16 22:58 GMT (UK) »
These people may be able to help.  There is a "Contact Us" facility.  Good Luck,

http://abergavennylocalhistorysociety.btck.co.uk/Booksleaflets

Jeanne
"We analyse the evidence to draw a conclusion. The better the sources and information, the stronger the evidence, which leads to a reliable conclusion!" Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk.

MATHEWS, Ireland, England, USA & Canada, NZ
FLEMING,   Ireland
DUNNELL,  England
PAULSON,  England
DOUGLAS, Scotland, Ireland, NZ
WALKER,   Scotland
WATSON,  England, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
McAUGHTRIE, Ayrshire, Scotland, NZ
MASON,     Scotland, England, NZ
& Connections

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 14 January 16 02:51 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jeanne, I'll get in touch with them,
Deirdre

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 14 January 16 17:27 GMT (UK) »
From this paper: http://www.monmouthshire.gov.uk/app/uploads/2013/06/151205-FRMP-Draft-4-Public-Consultation-Version.pdf

there is a statement that says that in 1931 there was one recorded death from flooding:

"In the Usk catchment flooding has also occurred regularly. In May 1931
Abergavenny suffered with flooding from the Usk causing one recorded death. 1979
saw flooding at Llanfaes and Brecon town centre and at Usk Town, with damages
estimated at greater than one million pounds. The water levels remain the highest on
record in most locations along the Usk. Further floods occurred In December 2000
and February 2002. Christmas 2013 saw the highest recorded level along the Usk in
recent years, but fortunately there was very little recorded flooding to properties.
January 2014 saw the highest Tides recorded at Newport in several years."

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 14 January 16 17:51 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Ray, that's really helpful - although it means the family story is not right ::)  Probably answers why I can't find deaths in the same quarter though....

Only 2 Davies deaths registered in Abergavenny in June quarter 1931 (John, aged 46 and Joseph aged 65) so may not be related anyway, though I'm probably missing at least one child of Sarah's.

I will contact the local registration office to see if either of the June 1931 deaths were drownings in Mill Street but it looks like this branch is back to the drawing board.

Thanks everyone  :)

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 14 January 16 18:11 GMT (UK) »
From what I have seen on the census Sarah had 3 children, Jane (1879), James (or Henry)(1887) and William.  None seems to match the 1931 deaths.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 14 January 16 19:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ray, complicated set-up I'm afraid; I'm not sure how many children she actually had.

The 1911 says Sarah is single (widow crossed out), and that she had 6 children from the 'marriage', 2 have died (this is crossed out). William (22) is the only child still with her by 1911.

Sarah was born Sarah Davies and I've not found any evidence that she married, though she had a daughter registered as Elizabeth Emily (Bessie) Minton in 1876, father Thomas Minton (shoemaker), mother Sarah Minton formerly Davies. But Thomas was already married. Bessie (Bessy) is with her grandparents in 1881 at 26 Mill St.

James Henry (1887) was baptised as the son of Sarah Davies 26 Mill St. Can't find a baptism for William.

There is a baptism for a Sarah Jane Davies on 14 Oct 1879 (born 11 Oct 1878), daughter of Sarah Davies, single woman, of the Union House. Interestingly, there's also one for Sarah Jane Davies on 28 Sep 1885, born 4 Sept 1878, daughter of Thomas, shoemaker, and Sarah, of 43 Mill St.

Hence I was hoping that the drowning story, tragic though it sounds, would have helped tie the family down. 

Thanks for the interest.

Deirdre