Author Topic: Griffiths Valuation-Andrew Fergus-Finnard  (Read 988 times)

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Griffiths Valuation-Andrew Fergus-Finnard
« on: Wednesday 13 January 16 23:22 GMT (UK) »
I found a hit for my ancestor Andrew Fergus who lived in Finnard, Co. Down, according to the valuation. The information provided was Position on Page 24, Printing Date 1864, Act 15 & 16 Sheet # 41, 47 and Map Reference 40.  I have tried several times to find out where he lived but I'm not sure if I found the correct area. I found a lot number 40 just off a road called Spelga Drive, south east of Raithfriland, Down then further up I found a Finnard Road, just south of Newry Road, so I'm not sure if that is the area he came from. Can anyone advise me. Going to Ireland in June and all my ancestors on my Grandmother's side are from the area so would love to see when I visit.
Thanks in advance,
Susan
Ajax, Ontario, Canada

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Griffiths Valuation-Andrew Fergus-Finnard
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 14 January 16 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Thr townland of Finnard is to the south of the  Newry Road and the property you are looking for is to the south of the junction of the Lisnaree Road and the Newry Road. It has a large property, No. 39 to the  north and No. 24 to the south.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 14 January 16 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for verifying the exact location of where my Great, Great Grandfather lived and worked!!!!!! You are most kind and I sincerely appreciate your help.

Offline BallyaltikilliganG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 16 11:03 GMT (UK) »
hi Susan
The Fergus family probably was Ferguson before being Fergus for a generation or two. The spelling was changed by the valuation continuation sheets Current PRONI Reference: VAL/12/B/22/19C (1883 - 1893) The name Fergus is crossed out and replaced with Ferguson but with no date.  Thereafter you have the Ferguson family recorded in 1901 and 1911 census.  Both the census miss the fifth child Isaac b 24 May 1873 Donaghmore  .

The family lived in Finnard [Newry] but went to church in Donaghmore.  For some reason they didn’t go Ryans Presbtyerian church at  5 Finnard Road and must have walked an hour each way to
Donaghmore Presbyterian church 41 Corcreechy Road heres the google street level view https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@54.242321,-6.3007187,3a,75y,90t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sW-Vba99mCgZpn0zvANVshw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
P. Donaghmore
Baptisms, 1804-37 and 1845-1968; marriages, 1845-
Burials of Presbyterian ministers, 1765, 1771, 1803,
1854 and 1927. MIC1P/129 MIC1/54/2

Exciting news the Ferguson Familyrecords are being constructed at the moment on http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donaghmore1/ferguson/ferrecfd.html

The McCracken family are listed as being in Finnard during 1831 to 1837  http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~donaghmore1/donaghmore/prchdon.html as are the Ferguson in this database

other items noticed
James Fergus Saval More map ref 31 4 acres plus £1pa house from griffith
possible relative of Andrew Fergus the townland is west and very close to Finnard

Possible relative
Name-Andrew Fergus
Event Type-Death
Event Date-1872
Event Place-Newry, Ireland
Registration Quarter and Year-1872
Registration District-Newry
Age-85
Birth Year (Estimated)-1787
Volume Number-11
Page Number-465

CITING THIS RECORD
"Ireland Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958," database, FamilySearch (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FRTG-NZN : accessed 16 January 2016), DEATHS entry for Andrew Fergus; citing Newry, 1872, vol. 11, p. 465, General Registry, Custom House, Dublin; FHL microfilm 101,586.
Wishing you a special memorable holiday
Gracey Gracie Gracy Grassy Greacy
worldwide

Offline Suemagoo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 16 17:41 GMT (UK) »
Wow!!! Thank you so much for your generous time in providing the information you have on my ancestor Andrew Fergus. I have to look at what you provided and see if I can figure this all out. My Father (James Fergus Graham) had Aunts and Uncles who lived on a farm at 31 Dougherry Road, with only one marrying a John Cunningham, but the others Robert, David and Ida lived on the farm until the 1980's when they passed away and are buried in the Loughbrickland Presbyterian Church on Ballynanny Road, just down the way from the farm. Their last name was Fergus (not Ferguson) and I have found My Greatgrandfather, Isaac Fergus, who passed away in Dougherry in 1921. He was married to a Leticia McKnight and Isaac brother Andrew was married to  Eliza McCracken. Isaac had a sister Mary born in 1827 and died a spinster. It says My Great Grandfather's Father was Andrew Fergus or Forgey as I've seen it recorded and these people are from Creepy, Finnard, Donaghmore area. As I am not familiar with the area I believe these are all my ancestors, but trying to sort this out I'm stuck. Could they have gone from Fergus to Ferguson then back to Fergus. I would love to find out when the family actually lived at 31 Dougherry Road but that's way down the road, until I sort out who is who. Any ideas I would greatly appreciated. Thank you again for your kindness!!! Have a lovely day. Susan, Canada.