Author Topic: Thomas Burns and Mary Gardiner  (Read 4308 times)

Offline AztecLime

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Burns and Mary Gardiner
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 05:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Lodger - seems I got a little excited after being stuck on this family for so long!  Graeme - I have sent you an email.

Offline natashabc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 March 18 04:39 BST (UK) »
ohh how exciting  :D I've just discovered that Isobel burns is my 4 X g. Grandmother (well im hoping i haven't put 2 and 2 together and come up with 10 anyway)  I have a convict sent to Australia (Marion Martin) who's papers listed her father as James (no mother listed), also listed siblings which match up with children born to James martin and Isobel burns, i came across Isobel on an 1841 census search which is where i've discovered her name. I have Marion's court information and she was charged with another person (Janet Thompson) of stealing from Archibald Livingstone (who himself at the time was in some trouble with the law). 
  I did a search of Scotland's people and saw Isobel married james on 27.07.1805, i viewed the image but it had no further information, a google search has shown that if i ordered the certificate it would be unlikely that any more information would be on it (i'm hoping to confirm as best as i can that i have the right couple as im known to pick up branches that aren't mine) so any tips would be greatly received
                    Thanks

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 March 18 10:51 BST (UK) »
I did a search of Scotland's people and saw Isobel married james on 27.07.1805, i viewed the image but it had no further information, a google search has shown that if i ordered the certificate it would be unlikely that any more information would be on it
As this is before the start of statutory civil registration in 1855, there is no marriage certificate and the record you have seen on Scotland's People is the only record that exists of the marriage.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline natashabc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 01 April 18 07:19 BST (UK) »
As this is before the start of statutory civil registration in 1855, there is no marriage certificate and the record you have seen on Scotland's People is the only record that exists of the marriage.
[/quote]
   Thanks for that, i must remember it was a very different time and i'm lucky i found what i did  :)

Offline shaun

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 06 April 18 12:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Graeme,

I know its a long shot, but I noticed this post and am interested in the Mary Gardiner that you are talking about. I am a Gardiner myself living in Kent, and I have managed to trace my name back as far as my Great Great Grandfather James Gardiner b.1843 - 1923. He was my first relative from Scotland before he moved to Kent. He seemed to move around a bit in Lanarkshire, but have him living in Cambusnethan in the 1851 Census.

I just wondered how much other information you had regarding the Gardiner name in this area?

thanks Shaun