Author Topic: Londonderry/Derry - Immigration to NZ Robert John Martin & Clara Martin + family  (Read 7939 times)

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
Re: Londonderry/Derry - Immigration to NZ Robert John Martin & Clara Martin + family
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:05 BST (UK) »
Could the signature be Millie (Melisina) Turner?
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Londonderry/Derry - Immigration to NZ Robert John Martin & Clara Martin + family
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:09 BST (UK) »
I cannot read the last surname

The file is a bit compressed, it would be good if you could make it a bit bigger.

I also thought Turner, but above it is 2 other words with T, and they are not simliar.
Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:22 BST (UK) »
But if it's her signature then it would be different.

Offline Bobby G

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:24 BST (UK) »
The signature in question is William B Lurrat
Researching Gambrill www.gambrillfamilytree.com Gedmatch T909876 Join our Gambrill FB Group

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:32 BST (UK) »
I didn't realise that you knew that for certain....though I can't find anyone with the surname Lurrat anywhere in Ireland in the 1901 or 1911 censuses.
There is a Milicent Turner here,signing the Ulster Covenant in 1912 http://apps.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenant/image.aspx?image=W0016890006

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 19 April 16 14:59 BST (UK) »
Witnesses are Robert Alexander Houston & William B Lurrat (I cannot read this writing)
I cannot read the last surname

Or the first name either apparently- it is Millie B. Turner not William B. Lurrat (I too doubt such a surname is found in Ulster)

I also thought Turner, but above it is 2 other words with T, and they are not simliar.
The capital 'T' in the surname would be different in shape than the small letters in the name above even if the same person was signing.

According to the 1911 census (link posted earlier) Robert John Turner Martin was born in County Derry- remember that Portrush is just on the Derry/Antrim border.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Irish Finder

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 01:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you Familyroutes for this:

There is a Milicent Turner here,signing the Ulster Covenant in 1912 http://apps.proni.gov.uk/ulstercovenant/image.aspx?image=W0016890006

At least I know my Great Aunt was still in Swatragh in 1912 from the above. I cannot find her leaving Ireland, getting married or dying in Northern Ireland . I do struggle with research, so I will keep looking to see what happened to her and if I have any living relatives descended from her;D ;D ;D

Offline Irish Finder

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 01:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aghadowey for your handwriting prowess on the 'Millie B Turner', that then means Clara's sister was a witness. ;D ;D ;D ;D

Do you mean Robert John Martin (not Robert John Turner) being born in Derry. As PRONI is only from 1864 onwards, where else can I look up a birth certificates and buy online? ??? ??? ???

With the 1901 census, there is reference to a Jennie Turner, I cannot find any Jennie Turner's being born to a Melisina and William Turner on PRONI. Where else can I look to verify she is real? Further what happened to her? ??? ??? ??? ???

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 14:36 BST (UK) »
Do you mean Robert John Martin (not Robert John Turner) being born in Derry. As PRONI is only from 1864 onwards, where else can I look up a birth certificates and buy online? ??? ??? ???

Yes, have just corrected the error.

Civil registration of birth started in 1864 so before that date there were no birth certificates.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!