Author Topic: Londonderry/Derry - Immigration to NZ Robert John Martin & Clara Martin + family  (Read 7935 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Londonderry/Derry - Immigration to NZ Robert John Martin & Clara Martin + family
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 17:53 BST (UK) »
With the 1901 census, there is reference to a Jennie Turner, I cannot find any Jennie Turner's being born to a Melisina and William Turner on PRONI. Where else can I look to verify she is real? Further what happened to her? ??? ??? ??? ???

Of course Jennie Turner was real- you've mentioned her repeatedly and her name is in the title of this post  ::)
Robert John Martin - born 06/02/1881 (father). Clara Jane Martin (nee Turner) mother born 03/07/1879.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Irish Finder

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Londonderry/Derry - Immigration to NZ Robert John Martin & Clara Martin + family
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 20 April 16 23:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

Other than in the '1901 census' I cannot find Jennie. Also, I have found other family trees which have the same family and none of them have a "Jennie" as a sibling (not even Jenny or a Jennifer). Jennie is born circa 1879.

For example, on Ancestry, Robert Turner who married Martha Graham (her older brother) was born in 1871, it doesn't have a mention of her. Same for Annie Ellen Convery (who was born Turner and born in 1873).

If civil registration started in 1864, why cant I find Jennie? Can anyone find her? ??? ??? ??? ???

I would really like to know what happened to her ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline Irish Finder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 21 April 16 09:36 BST (UK) »
Dear familyroutes,

That I cannot answer. I had asked my mother this exact question (as Clara Jane was her Grandmother), however my mother said she was always known as 'Clara' and not by any other name. I had also asked the question if she was a twin, to which my mother didn't know (but also for the below paragraph, my mother didn't know about anyone else's existence at this generation level)

The family changed religion to 'Plymouth Brethren' and then discarded any members who didn't follow suit. This makes my research harder as I have no family history. ???

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 21 April 16 10:03 BST (UK) »
For the LAST time- Clara Jane Turner was listed as Jennie in 1901 census. Jennie is a nickname for Jane and the age matches her birth. Before posting before I checked ALL the births for the Turner family and Clara was not a twin and there was not another child called Jennie.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Irish Finder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 21 April 16 11:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Aghadowey,

Thank you for your reply, however I am merely checking as for Clara Jane Turner (now a Martin) in the 1911 Census is aged 30, In the 1901 census there is a Jennie Turner who is aged 22. 

If you do the math on the above, the 1901 census will have a birth year of 1879, the 1911 census will have a birth year of 1881, that is a gap of TWO YEARS.

Further, my mother said she was always "Clara". It is because of this 'age gap of 2 years' and the fact that I cannot find her, that I posted on Roots Chat in case there is something I have missed ???

Offline familyroutes

• RootsChat Senior
  • The O'Kane Family Garvagh
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 21 April 16 14:58 BST (UK) »
Firstly, you need to approach ages listed in the censuses with  great caution and a large pinch of salt!
My grandmother was born in 1863 according to her marriage cert. By the 1901 census she was born in 1866 (which would have made her 12 when she married!) In the 1911 census she'd lost the three years again. My great aunt managed to gain 14 years between censuses(which was closer to the truth but still wrong).It depends who filled in the form and how sure people were about their DOB etc.
Nicknames used in families could be dropped later...I was "Junior" until well into my teens! Maybe Jennie thought  that Clara sounded better for a married woman. I think we can safely say Jennie and Clara Jane are one and the same.
O'Kane, O'Mullan: Garvagh Derry
Bowe: Currabaha ,Waterford
McManus: Aghagallon ,Antrim
McGowan: Drumshambo, Leitrim

Offline Irish Finder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 05 February 17 10:29 GMT (UK) »
can someone please look up a marriage of Robert John Martin to Mary Jane Chambers. i  got the the death certificate of Robert John Martin in New Zealand which showed the above as his parents. it-said Robert John Martin jnr was born in Londonderry but i cant find his birth.

is anyone able to look up anything /find anything on the above persons ie dates of birth and for the parents, the parents marriage and any other children born ;D

thanks greatly

Offline Irish Finder

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 07 February 17 11:59 GMT (UK) »
does anyone know if a woman called Thomasina could be known as another name? ie Mary Jane