Author Topic: Mimi's Tearooms in York  (Read 709 times)

Offline bramcor

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Mimi's Tearooms in York
« on: Friday 15 January 16 04:57 GMT (UK) »
Not exactly a genealogical question but related to family history as I'm trying to put together a little album about my late MIL for my husband. He recalls her talking often of a Mimi's Tearoom in York that she visited frequently in the early 1980s (around 1984?) while she was staying near York, & I had hoped to find a photo online.

But it seems Mimi's doesn't exist anymore & I can find no mention of it anywhere. I thought I could just use a photo of the building or even the street but I don't know the actual address. He thought it might be in Gillygate or close by, but can't be sure. There are any number of cafes & tearooms in Gillygate & Bootham today but the place could have become something other than an eating place, of course.

I wondered if any members remember this tearoom from the 1980s & exactly where it was situated? I'm on the other side of the world so can't just visit the street (other than on Google Streetview).

Any information would be appreciated. Thanks.   Jude

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mimi's Tearooms in York
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 16 08:51 GMT (UK) »
The iconic tearooms in York would be Betty's?
Are you sure it was Mimi's?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline bramcor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 15 January 16 12:22 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, KGarrad, we know of the well known Betty's - it would have been so much easier if it had been that tearoom. But my husband is pretty confident it was Mimi's she spoke of, with a mention of Gillygate. Google Streetview shows a number of cafes & tearooms in Gillygate & one called Evie Brown's Tearooms in Bootham right opposite Gillygate. I had hoped someone local might remember one called Mimi's, even if it was at least 30 years ago. 

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 15 January 16 12:51 GMT (UK) »
York Telephone Directories are available to browse on Ancestry, but there is no mention of Mimi's in 1982 or 1980.
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline Rhododendron

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 16 11:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jude,
It could, of course, be that the Tearooms were not actually called "Mimi's" but that Mimi worked or owned the Tearooms.