Author Topic: 99th Reg of Foot  (Read 475 times)

Offline KerrieO

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
99th Reg of Foot
« on: Friday 15 January 16 06:00 GMT (UK) »
I am try to locate information on Colour Sgt Charles Donnolly #731 who joined the Reg in 1832 in Ireland at the age of 18 years. He married Mary "Delahuntly" (bc1813 Ire d 1882 TAS Aust) about 1840. Their first daughter was born in 1843 in Kent. The 99th served in Sydney Australia,  New Zealand and Tasmania where Charles was medically discharged after 20 years service.
I can't find his death and wondered would he have been entitled to a pension and if deceased would his widow be able to claim some money from his pension.

Any information or guidance would be gratefully appreciated.

Thank you
Kerrie

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 99th Reg of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Friday 15 January 16 10:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kerrie

I take it you have a copy of his record from Findmypast. If so it has "2/-" on the back page which means he was awarded a pension of two shillings a day for life. The other reference on the back page may be his 'Chelsea number', who paid out the pensions.

Soldiers who committed an offence could have any future pension forfeited as part of their punishment. Even though they were forced to serve out their enlistment. But the fact his service record survives also goes towards proving he received a pension as they come from Chelsea.

Widows did not receive pensions until 1901. And even then it was only for six years, or until she remarried. So his wife would not have received anything after his death. But with 2s a day he could have taken out an endowment policy that included a life assurance element. These were typically for 10, 20 or 30 years. In the 19th Century I am sure you could get one by paying a farthing a week.

Ken