Author Topic: Booth/Gribben/D'Arcy/De Lacey adopted  (Read 9572 times)

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Booth/Gribben/D'Arcy/De Lacey adopted
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 16 January 16 22:40 GMT (UK) »
I have to say how impressed I am with this forum and the stuff you guys come up with.  I'm on other forums (not for this purpose) and can wait weeks for feedback.
I've looked at Milltown cemetery,  when I was a small child we visited a grave near home and when I Googled last week, Milltown was the nearest.
I would still have expected details to be on the Belfast City Cncl website,  ive looked under every family surname I could think of.
The 1919 marriage took place on 28th June,  at St Josephs R C Church, Pilot Road, long gone unfortunately. None of my family have the original marriage certificate,  only a 1938 copy which may not have all the details (doesn't mention any middle names, so I can't be certain about Gribben or Catherine)
The Belfast City Cemetery site only has records from City Cemetery, Dundonald Cemetery & Roselawn Cemetery. I suspect that Milltown is more likely but not all their records are online so it might be an idea to contact them especially if more recent family burials have taken place there. However, I don't think that will take you any further back than Edward himself.

Family stories often have a grain or two of truth even if they get a bit muddled over the years. Possible scenario-
c1871 Lizzie Booth born in England (either as Booth or D'Arcy...)
c1894 Lizzie Booth has daughter Lizzie born Lancashire
1901 Lizzie Booth and son Edward in census in Belfast with daughter Lizzie as a visitor at another address
1905 daughter Lizzie Booth died Belfast death certificate might give clues- address? informant?
1911 son Edward with Annie Gribben in Belfast has mother Lizzie Booth died, remarried or moved back to England

One reason I suspect that young Lizzie is Lizzie's daughter is that she is also born England (how many English-born Booths can be in Belfast at that time)

If Edward was born to Church of Ireland/England mother but later married a Catholic then there should probably be a baptism record for his conversion in order to marry in a Catholic Church. So, do you know exactly where the 1919 marriage took place?

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 January 16 22:48 GMT (UK) »
One reason I suspect that young Lizzie is Lizzie's daughter is that she is also born England (how many English-born Booths can be in Belfast at that time)
Agreed, in fact it always struck me that, as a child, we seemed to be the only Booths in Belfast.  All my non-booth relatives had family here, there, and everywhere

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 January 16 22:56 GMT (UK) »
As I explained earlier, the Belfast Cemetery site only covers 3 of them so if the family aren't buried there then they won't be listed.

You could try contacting Milltown and see if they can help with Booth burials (I came across other Booths buried there).

Re: the 1938 copy of marriage- is it a church record or civil record?

off to do a bit more searching for you  ;)
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 16 January 16 23:35 GMT (UK) »

Re: the 1938 copy of marriage- is it a church record or civil record?

off to do a bit more searching for you  ;)
Its the church record

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 14:44 GMT (UK) »
Ive had an email back from the local church who would 99% have been where the service was held, and they cannot trace their records for July to December 1981.
Have now emailed some local long established funeral directors to see if they can help

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Booth/D'Arcy/De Lacey adopted
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 15:18 GMT (UK) »

In 1911 there's a Teddy Gribben aged 10 in Kent St. with Rose Ann aged 40.
It states he was born Belfast as was she.
They are living with relatives & Teddy is just described as such.

So is Teddy Gribben & Edward Gribben Booth one in the same.

Hi, can you tell me where you're searching?  I've looked at the National Archives.i.e. website and cant find them there.

Transcribed a LEDDEY Gribben
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/St__Anne_s_Ward/Kent_Street/133663/

Hi.
This is him!
Ive looked at the census paperwork.  The transcription and Form A both suggest house number is 15, but when I looked at Form A's Instructions page there is a note saying "Street, &c.' with No. of House.......Kent St. No.48", the same address my grandfather got married from.
So, I think its pretty safe to assume that Teddy Gribben took the surname Booth sometime between this census (1911) and his marriage (1919)
The name Rose Ann Gribben does not reappear so far as I can see, but Annie Gribbon (sic) appears at no.48 Kent St in the 1918,1924, and 1932 street directories

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 21 January 16 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Okay, this is where my current thinking is..

My Grandfather Edward Booth is Edward Gribben Booth / Teddy Gribben         dob 03/02/1900
His mother is Rose Ann/Anne Gribben  born c1871

Rose Ann Gribben is listed in 1911 census as Widow. Address is 48 Kent St, Belfast.

Dont know if she was born Gribben, married Booth (who died) then reverted back to Gribben, or if she never married at all, or if she was born Booth, married Gribben (who died before Edward was born) so she kept the Gribben name, although this doesnt explain why Edward changed from Gribben to Booth as he got older.

Do any of you know what common practice was back then for widows / unmarried mothers?

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 21 January 16 15:52 GMT (UK) »
It could be Rose Ann co-habited with or married a Gribben who wasn't Edward's father but Edward was given the Gribben name which was a common practice. It also wan't unusual for children like Edward to revert to their real name at adulthood.
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Thursday 21 January 16 16:16 GMT (UK) »
It could be Rose Ann co-habited with or married a Gribben who wasn't Edward's father but Edward was given the Gribben name which was a common practice. It also wan't unusual for children like Edward to revert to their real name at adulthood.
There is an unmarried Rose Gribben of the right age living with her sister in Londonderry in 1901, but thats 70 miles from Belfast. Mind you, there are 2 or 3 male Booths of the right age living in Londonderry at that time
This genealogy isnt straightforward, is it