Author Topic: Booth/Gribben/D'Arcy/De Lacey adopted  (Read 9613 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Booth/Gribben/D'Arcy/De Lacey adopted
« Reply #54 on: Monday 27 June 16 21:41 BST (UK) »
Hello,
I have come to this thread from today's new one.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=751101
Looking at 1891 census, you write that there is no sign of Jane with her parents, Edward and Agnes. There is a daughter, Jennie, 18 yrs who I would think is your Jane Elizabeth.

Heywood
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Saturday 14 January 17 18:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi.
An update on where I am now.

Edward Maurice (Morris) Booth, born 03.02.1900 (registered 04.02.1900). Mother Jane Elizabeth Booth, unmarried,  30 years old, English,  of 43 Talbot St,  Belfast

Still at this address on 1901 census

02.08.1903, Edward is baptised at St Patricks by Rose Anne Gribbon and Daniel Gribbon of 2 Stephen St. Eliza Booth named as mother but not present.

Daniel Gribbon dies in 1905

1911 census for 48 Kent St shows Rose Anne Gribben and Teddy (transcribed Ledley) Gribben.  Ages fit and Kent St is very near to Talbot St and Stephens St.   Later, in 1919 marriage certificate,  Edward uses the name Edward Gribben Booth and is married from that same address.

Still cannot find what happened to Jane Elizabeth Booth (Lizzie). There is a death record for Eliza Booth 1901, right age, but married with children, wrong religion and Irish not English birth.  Also,  Edwards birth certificate says mothers birth name was Booth,  not married name.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Saturday 14 January 17 18:39 GMT (UK) »
Possibly of interest - in the same area of Belfast (St Anne's) as where the Gribben/McKenna etc. lot are living in 1911, in 1901 there is an English-born woman, Lizzie Booth, aged 30, unmarried, with a son Edward Morris Booth, aged 1, born Belfast.
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/St__Anne_s/Talbot_Street/933944

Birth certificate now online-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1900/02010/1772262.pdf

The 1901 death for Eliza Booth was eliminated ages ago- she was the wife of Thomas Booth and her death certificate confirms this-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1901/05721/4614393.pdf
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Saturday 14 January 17 19:12 GMT (UK) »
Edward Morris should be Maurice,  and that is grandfather.
The Eliza who died 1901 isn't the same woman unfortunately, wrong nationality, religion, plus Booth is her married name whereas Jane Elizabeth was born Booth and unmarried.
Thank you  :)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Saturday 14 January 17 19:21 GMT (UK) »
Morris and Maurice are different versions of the same name- in Ulster they are pronounced the same.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Monday 16 January 17 11:03 GMT (UK) »
Morris and Maurice are different versions of the same name- in Ulster they are pronounced the same.

Yes, Im agreeing with you  :)

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Friday 06 April 18 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hello, me again!

Still going round in circles  :)

I have Jane Elizabeth Booth giving birth to Edward in 1900, is at 43 Talbot Street with him in the 1901 census, but by August 1902 Edward is baptised by Rose Ann and Daniel Gribben.

I'm concluding that  Jane Elizabeth either died or gave away the child during that period.

I've searched all the burial records I can find, and cannot trace her death, at least not in Belfast. One very close call, an Eliza Jane Booth who died in August 1901, but there are a number of reasons why she isnt the lady I'm looking for - - Booth was her married name, not birth name, she was buried with family members including husband and a child, and she appears at a different address in the same 1901 census where my Jane Elizabeth is at 43 Talbot Street.

Offline eddiebooth

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Thursday 08 July 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
Back again and still no further on.
I'm concentrating on Jane Elizabeth Booth, known as Eliza or Lizzie at different times in her life. Aged 30 on 31/03/1901, so born between April 1870 and March 1871 in England. Unmarried, so her fathers surname was Booth.
Likely she lived in Staffordshire, England before moving to Belfast, Ireland where she was employed as a stitcher.
She had a son, Edward Maurice (or Morris) in 1900, and they were living at 43 Talbot Street, Belfast in March 1901. In 1903 Edward is baptised. Rose Ann and Daniel Gribben are present, Jane Elizabeth is listed as the mother but was not present - possible deceased, left Belfast, or unable to care for the child (hospitalised or prison?)

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Friday 09 July 21 10:25 BST (UK) »

She had a son, Edward Maurice (or Morris) in 1900, and they were living at 43 Talbot Street, Belfast in March 1901. In 1903 Edward is baptised. Rose Ann and Daniel Gribben are present, Jane Elizabeth is listed as the mother but was not present - possible deceased, left Belfast, or unable to care for the child (hospitalised or prison?)

There's these entries from Ireland, Prison Registers, 1790-1924 but 2nd entry gives next of kin hus. P Booth  :(

Lizzie Booth
Admission Age:   34
Role:   Prisoner
Birth Place:   Liverpool
Admission Date:   1904
Admission Place:   Dublin, Ireland
Jail:   MOUNTJOY

Lizzie Booth
Admission Age:   34
Role:   Prisoner
Birth Place:   Liverpool
Admission Date:   9 Feb 1904