Author Topic: Marriage - Peter Griffiths 1885  (Read 3216 times)

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage - Peter Griffiths 1885
« Reply #27 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Finally, I got the right marriage certificate. His first wife was Mary Roberts. I'm afraid it doesn't bring me any nearer to finding his Mother's Maiden name However, I think I have now found his baptism in 1860 so hopefully I can find a birth registration ( just one!) which will fit.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 16:57 GMT (UK) »
You can apply for a birth certificate from the GRO and say that you only want it if it has Mary Roberts as his mother. It will take a few days longer to arrive. If they can't find one you will get a refund of your money.

When applying say that you don't have the reference and it will bring up a different form to fill in.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 18:35 GMT (UK) »
Mary Roberts was his first wife, Rosie, not his mother. I haven't got his mother's maiden name which is why I am hesitating about sending for a birth certificate.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 28 January 16 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry, I must have been having a senior moment  ;D

What information does the marriage give forPeter and his father. 

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 28 January 16 15:40 GMT (UK) »
I have Baptism for Peter 1860 in Mold, Flintshire. I have his father (Peter) born abt 1830. They seem to have lived in Mold since at least 1841 census -1911. However I cannot find either Peter, father or Peter, son on an 1861 census. Father was a shoemaker. No other helpful information on marriage certificate. The witnesses were not Griffiths or Roberts (wife - Mary Roberts)

I know father married Margaret who was born in Ireland but I don't have her maiden name.  I thought that perhaps he was in Ireland but that would mean the Baptism I've found is the wrong one. On each marriage certificate/census Peter (son) changes his age meaning he could have been born between 1860 and 1868. The most likely dates are 1860/1861 but that still gives me too many Peter Griffiths to choose from. An 1861 census might just have helped with the birth date.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Thursday 28 January 16 17:26 GMT (UK) »
The baptism for Peter that you have on the 8th April 1860 is possibly this birth
June qtr 1860   
Peter Griffiths       
Holywell    11b   297

As he was born Mold it would be in Holywell Reg District

You could always try ordering with the proviso that his father is Peter and mother Margaret

I can't see the family in 1861 either

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Thursday 28 January 16 17:56 GMT (UK) »
Cheshire Observer 18 June 1895 -Mold -Sudden death -On Wednesday evening Peter Griffiths a shoemaker residing at Princes Court was taken ill in High Street. He was removed to his house where he expired, death being attributed to an affection of the heart.

Offline DINGinWALES

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Thursday 28 January 16 19:52 GMT (UK) »
Thank You, Rosie!!!!! :)I am so grateful for the Observer clip. That Peter Griffiths was the father. I didn't know when he had died but the last I had found on him was the 1891 census.

As to the b certificate. The one you identified is the one I also thought was most likely. I think I will go to the registry office in Mold rather than do the GRO. They were very helpful the last time I went.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Friday 29 January 16 08:24 GMT (UK) »
While you are at the registry as they appear to be so helpful it might be worth looking for Peter bn 1830's marriage.  He is with Margaret in 1851 with 6 month old Mary.

You hopefully will have a maiden name for Peter juniors mother from the 1860 birth.  There are 2 marriages on freebmd just before 1851 in Holywell RD with a Margaret in the names listed as a possible match. 
March qtr 1847   Peter Griffiths - Holywell  27   331   marries Sarah Williams from parish register 
Dec qtr 1849  Peter Griffiths - Holywell    27   422 - there is a Margaret Hussian in the list of possible brides   

Hope you are lucky  ;D

Rosie