Author Topic: William Wood born 1829 Liverpool....  (Read 4956 times)

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Wood born 1829 Liverpool....
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 16 January 16 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Is he is the William Wood living in Spittlegate Lincolnshire in 1861 – wife Fanny?

Have you confirmed Fanny’s maiden name was Taylor from one of their childrens’s birth certs?  If so was she shown as Catherine Frances on the birth cert as 1856 marriage entry shows her as Fanny as do census entries

Births March qtr 1857   
William Wood  Grantham  7a   414

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 16 January 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Discussion here ( including CaroleW  :)) re William Wood son of John. Lots of input but none from you John  ???  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=629873.0

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 16 January 16 19:57 GMT (UK) »
That post was 3yrs ago so why didn't you post all info already known/ found (ie) marriage details etc?

We now have 4 pages of questions on this post because of lack of info from you at the outset and then end up with the same info posted 3yrs ago which has effectively wasted a lot of peoples time and efforts

Please see this recent thread and my reply at #1

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=738845.0

Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 06:16 GMT (UK) »
CaroleW, my original post really went unverified, I have put a lot of time in on this and believe that my original findings were Williams parents George & Ellen as on the Lan-opc.org.uk site, there is NO John registered as Father to William, I do not have his Birth cert to go on, all I have is his Baptism which gives Father George, now my quandary was I could not find an exact fit for the marriage with George as dad, the next nearest fit was John Wood as father and this is all I have to go on. My question , could it be possible that George`s brother John acted as father in this case ?
Fact, I have a Baptism for William (Dad George), but No Marriage cert giving Dad George (death year 1841) Fact , I have a Marriage cert with Father John recorded, I just thought it a possibility..

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:01 GMT (UK) »
But surely if you know as a fact who William married then the marriage certificate showing father John is the correct father. William may not have been baptised or baptised at a church whose records are not online                                             

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Here is William with the Taylor family in 1851:

3, Court 2, Southwell Street

Thomas Taylor - 52 -   Head   Boatman Customs - Gillingham, Kent   
Ann M Taylor - 42 -Wife - Gillingham         
Louisa Taylor - 12 -Daur -   Scholar At Home    - Gillingham
Elizabeth Taylor   - 6 -   Daur   - Scholar At Home -   Gillingham
Mary    Taylor - 8M - Daur - Liverpool     
William Wood - 22 -Lodger   - Portrait Painter    - Toxteth Park

1851 St Silas Parish, Liverpool

Thomas Middleton Head 21 Born Dent Yorkshire
Jane Middleton Wife  26 born 1825 Egremont Cumberland
Mary Middleton daughter 1 born 1850 Liverpool
William Wood Visitor 23 born liverpool  Painter

so we have 2 William Wood in 1851. I would have thought that the second one is possibly more likely as William seems to describe himself as a painter (& decorator which would fit with a joiner father?) rather than portrait painter

I assume you have proof from working backwards that your William married Fanny Taylor, who never seems to have been refered to as Catherine Frances or Frances Catherine

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Ah, now I was looking at the wrong William there.
However, William describes himself as a Portrait Painter in 1861.

Offline James2you

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:31 GMT (UK) »
Yes , the records do differ through out the census, Painter, House Painter to Portrait Painter..
And as far as the Fanny / Frances Catherine Taylor, I actually received help from the Kent OPC which gave me this.. But she was better known as Fanny

John

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 17:40 GMT (UK) »
my original post really went unverified,

No it didn't - you just would not believe the info posted from his marriage cert in the same way as you are still rejecting it despite others posting the same info. 

The 1856 marriage entry is Fanny and all census entries are Fanny and her death registration is Fanny.  Father Thomas on marriage cert - see duplicate post  http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=629873.0

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NKBN-XZQ 

The 1856 marriage cert occupation for William plus all subsequent census entries match him as a painter so it is the right marriage cert showing his father as John yet you still will not believe his fathers name

Not all children were baptised and not all children were born within a marriage.  As I said above - it was a very common practice for illegitimate children to make up a fathers name when they married so as to appear "respectable" and you cannot rule out that possibility at the moment

It may be sheer coincidence but there is an 1841 entry for Gillingham Dorset which has a Frances Taylor aged 5 living with parents Thomas & Ann - but Thomas is an agricultural labourer not a customs officer