Author Topic: help untangling my WADEs please!  (Read 395 times)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
help untangling my WADEs please!
« on: Saturday 16 January 16 16:33 GMT (UK) »
I've spent years trying to sort out this family and end up going round in circles, so time for some fresh eyes.

I have a couple with fairly common names (James & Ann WADE) living in East London who baptised a number of children following their marriage at Southwark in 1821, but I'm wondering if I might have merged two families because the father goes from being a glazier to a plumber to a painter then back to a glazier again.  The eagle-eyed amongst you may also spot a very short pregnancy.

Baps as follows:
Robert William      Jan 1822             Spitalfields       glazier
James Henry       Apr 1823    b Feb 1823       Stepney       plumber
Mary Ann       Jun 1825    b Nov 1824       Shoreditch       painter
Sarah Chester       Jun 1825    b Apr 1825       Shoreditch       painter
Ann          Nov 1827    b Jul 1827       Shoreditch       painter
Emma          Feb 1830    b Jan 1830       Aldgate       glazier

I have come across men trading as "plumber & glazier" so although it seems an odd combination nowadays, evidently it wasn't a couple of centuries back.  Do Rootschatters think the three Shoreditch baps, with a painter as a father, are to the same couple as the plumber/glazier baps?  What about the pair of baps in 1825 of infants born only 5 months apart - adoption of an orphaned or illegitimate relative?  Chester was a maiden name a couple of generations previously.

Unfortunately the family are scattered by the 1841 census otherwise things might be a little clearer. 

"My" man is the 1823 James Henry.  Or at least he was called James Henry and when he married at Hackney in 1846 he gave the occupation of his father James as painter.  Witnesses included Ann Wade but not James, so he might have been dead (I think he died Dec 1841).  Witnesses marked, bride & groom signed.  Ann could be a sister or his mother (except I think his mother died 1832 and father remarried).  Censuses and age at death give an estimated birth date for James Henry around 1822 or 1823 but his birthplace thoughout the censuses has been inconsistent, although always in the East London area.

Of the other baps, Robert William was married in 1843 and gave father James as a glazier.  All parties signed, witnesses were John BROWN & Elizabeth SMITH, neither name is meaningful to me.

Sarah Chester was married in March 1848, father James, painter, deceased, witnesses James & Elizabeth Wade, only the groom signed so no signatures to compare.

Ann was married in April 1848 and signed, father James, painter & glazier.  Witness names mean nothing to me but both signed.  Does Ann's signature rule her out as witness to James Henry's marriage?

Finally, if believed to be part of the same family, what became of Mary Ann and Emma?
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD
NICOLAS,NOAK,NORTH
PARFIT,PORTER
RIPPINGALE,ROBINS
SEARLE,SPENCER,STEDHAM
TYLER,TILLY,TUCKWELL
WADE,WAGER,WALKER,WATSON,WEBB,WITHRINGTON,WOOD

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: help untangling my WADEs please!
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 16 16:37 GMT (UK) »
On the Shoreditch baptisms - is the address the same on each?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline familydar

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: help untangling my WADEs please!
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 16 January 16 19:07 GMT (UK) »
That would be too easy!

1825 adjoining entries in PR, abode Holywell Lane.
1827 Nelson Street according to both PR and BT

With small village parishes I have seen great variance between PRs and BTS - different dates, different parents, entries on one but not the other - probably because the incumbent was completing the documentation well after the event and from day books or receipts.  So the 1825 Shoreditch St Leonard BTs may tell a different story, but I doubt it.  I can't imagine anyone keeping on top of the paperwork for a parish that size unless they were attending to it daily.
ALLEN
BARR, BARRATT, BERRY, BRADLEY,BRAMLEY,BRISTOW,BROWN,BUGBIRD,BUTLER
CAIN,CARR,CHAPMAN,CHARLES,CH*LTON,CHESTER,COCKETT
COLLASON,COLLYER,CORKERY
DARLING, DENYER,DICKERSON,DOLLING,DURBAN
FARMER,FURNELL
GIBSON,GILES,GROOMBRIDGE
HALL,HAMBIDGE,HARMES,HART,HICKS,HILL,HOLLOWAY
JACKSON
K*AT*S
LANCASTER,LINTON
MCDONALD,MCFADEN,MEARS,MILLARD