Author Topic: who are the parents of John Melville?  (Read 5455 times)

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Me with yet another pudding bowl haircut...
    • View Profile
Re: who are the parents of John Melville?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 17 January 16 10:00 GMT (UK) »
Hello Don,

thanks for looking that up, unfortunately, I already have all that....
Just for clarity does that mean you know of the births or that you have all the OPRs for the births?
Jen
North East Scotland above the Tay...
JOLLY, Johnston,Thom, Rae, Davidson, Fielding, Sherret
FEARN, McKenzie, Stirling [brick wall], Robb, Wilson, Stott
RUSSELL, Fullerton, Christie, Cochrane, Davidson, Coutts, Easton, Scott
FRASER, Henderson, Noble, Mundie, Goodall, Thain, Neish, Moir

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 17 January 16 16:46 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever look at this entry in the publication "Scot's in the USA & Canada 1825-1875"

John died 1882 in GR at his brother's house on Caledonia St.  It states he was b 1854 Pitlessie younger son of William in Pitlessie. 

I am not suggesting this your John, rather two Melville's same hamlet 3,500 miles away lining in the same small speck of the world.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline MelOfFife

• RootsChat Extra
  • blah, blah, blah...
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 18 January 16 09:24 GMT (UK) »
thanks don, no i hadn't seen that . now I have a good street location for this family to look into, which I believe are my gr gramps cousin. I have this guys death cert but hardly any other info
(a modern repro rather than the good ol microfiche copies. )Might be a second avenue for me to follow my familys line back. I am most positive this is part of the family especially the pitlessie link.
(they worked at the lime kilns there, I believe) I just cant tell if it my gramps cousin or nephew.. thank ya much! -(memory jog)there was Dobson book which mentioned the daughter grace, I had seen at an lds center about 5-10 years ago too.

I was thinking if I could find that young boy William's tomb somewhere neare pitlessie he might have the grandparents nearby, though it might be sarah parents rather than john's(the boy missing from the 51 census)I don't have an index cd for kettle or cults though.maybe ill ask Norrie g on another thread tomorrow but usually needs a set of names to search so not sure how that works
Melville of Collessie - Pratt/Dall of Kettle/Cults

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 18 January 16 09:49 GMT (UK) »
There is a couple called William and Isabella Meville living Brighton, Cupar in 1851 - you can find them using: http://www.freecen.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
One of their children (could be a grandchild given their ages?) was born Pitlessie. I'd want to rule them in or out.
Jen

Offline MelOfFife

• RootsChat Extra
  • blah, blah, blah...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 18 January 16 09:49 GMT (UK) »
jennywren. I don't have the oprs
(for the children-only for the banns and 51 census))but i've viewed and recorded the dates from the website using credits, I don't recall them leading me in any direction towards john's parents though. but that was a decade ago.
I tried buying credits again last summer but it wouldn't accept my American debit card bcz it doesn't have that vc3 number issue number/ just a pin. they must use a different issuing system over there now. we don't use vc3 issue numbers here.or at least no card I have.
i mostly use ancestry dot com now but they sometimes only show transcripts. its the only place that accepts my card,, that and findmypast but they don't always show originals either. I hear they got bought out now so not sure how that will work.

Offline MelOfFife

• RootsChat Extra
  • blah, blah, blah...
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 18 January 16 10:02 GMT (UK) »
thanks jennywren, I was leaning that direction too, bcz of the kid being born in collessie and that maybe john was just married and out of the house on his own by that time. but its not definitive so im trying to gather proof. That's the tough part ,being over here and not being able to 'ground pound' to the local records offices or cemeteries there. I appreciate eveyone's help so far and all the great links you can post for me.

edit I believe this Isabella is a fergusson if I remember right.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 18 January 16 10:43 GMT (UK) »
SP should accept your card without a problem you only need the three digit number from the back nothing else bar the actual card number. I'd at least get the OPR for the oldest child perhaps there are witnesses to the birth that would help in your search.
Jen

Offline MelOfFife

• RootsChat Extra
  • blah, blah, blah...
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 18 January 16 15:25 GMT (UK) »
jennywren, i was wrong about it being cv3, its cv2 for the pin ;then the issue number(if available
)which I don't have -so I was going try your advice and buy credits,and it was actually at the authenticated payments (3d secure) page that i get bumped and redirected to try again because it 'cant be processed at this time'- for whatever reason- so ill have to get back to this thread once I call the bank about it bcz I don't remember signing up for any secure payment w my card and I never get bumped anywhere else- but ill try again once I get it resolved.

Offline jennywren001

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Monday 18 January 16 16:59 GMT (UK) »
There is an option to ignore the secure payment business - but it's not obvious. If you are having trouble drop them an email they are really good at getting back with the correct information.
Jen