Author Topic: Bridgnorth hospitals  (Read 552 times)

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bridgnorth hospitals
« on: Saturday 16 January 16 16:52 GMT (UK) »
My 4x great grandmother (Hannah Gregory) was buried at St. Leonard’s Church, Bridgnorth on 14th May 1837. Her address is given as ‘hospital’. My query is which hospital? As far as I can see there are two possibilities – Palmers Hospital and Bridgnorth Infirmary. Palmers Hospital is located in St. Leonard’s churchyard and I believe was founded for the relief of poor widows. The infirmary was opened in 1836 and had 8 beds. Another entry on the same page as my ancestor gives an address as ‘Hospital Churchyard’ so that for this lady her address is clear. Bearing this in mind am I correct to assume that she died in the infirmary?  (Hannah was a widow). Does anyone know anything about Bridgnorth hospitals or can point me in the right direction to find out? Any suggestions gratefully received.
Tofgem

Offline ScobieDrom

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgnorth hospitals
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 16 January 16 20:37 GMT (UK) »

Offline tofgem

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Bridgnorth hospitals
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 16 08:36 GMT (UK) »
Thanks ScobieDrom. I had already found that link which is where I found my original information. It is a shame (for my research) that both hospitals, the area where Hannah lived and the church are very close together.
Tofgem