Author Topic: Bedfordshire surname index  (Read 2228 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Bedfordshire surname index
« on: Sunday 17 January 16 07:40 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have, or have access to, the Bedfordshire Pre-1852 Parish Registers Surnames CD? I am after one look-up please. Francis Bentham married a Margaret ---? c. 1625.
Thanks in advance.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Bedfordshire surname index
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 16 09:05 GMT (UK) »
You could always buy one from the Bedfordshire Family History Society, it costs £10 plus postage
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Partridge - North Beds; Northants & Peterborough
Bishop - Bedford; Hunts, Hemingford Grey
Allen - Hunts, Hemingford Abbotts
Clement - Croydon
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline bedfordshire boy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 16 10:20 GMT (UK) »
Virtually all Beds marriages pre 1813 are on the IGI at www.familysearch.org. But not the one you're looking for. If he's the one baptised in Hockliffe which is close to Bucks I can't see a marriage in Bucks either, although I don't know how complete Bucks marriages are on the IGI.
Beds:   Cople: Luke/Spencer
            Everton: Hale
            Henlow: Cooper/Watts/Sabey/Rook
            Potton:  Merrill
            Southill: Faulkner/Litchfield/Sabey/Rook
            Woburn/Husborne Crawley: Surkitt
Hunts:   Gt Gransden: Merrill/Chandler/Medlock
            Toseland: Surkitt/Hedge/Corn         
Cambs: Bourn: Bowd
            Eltisley: Medlock
            Graveley: Ford/Revell

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 16 13:26 GMT (UK) »
He is mentioned in this item from Beds Archives from 1654........

http://bedsarchivescat.bedford.gov.uk/Details/archive/110298763
Clement - Croydon

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 16 19:47 GMT (UK) »
Thank you to both of you for your replies.
I have to say I was assuming he married in Bedfordshire, as that is where he was born, and lived until he later move to London. A draper by trade, and the son of a clergyman, it is possible he married elsewhere. I shall keep searching.
JohnP-bedford, thank you for the link. I had already found that, but it shows that he at least still held property in Shefford.

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline johnP-bedford

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 12:42 GMT (UK) »
Yesterday I was at Beds Archives & used their copy of the latest surname index CD.... the only Francis Bentham listed is the one baptised at Hockliffe on 13 Apr 1605, son of Thomas, the vicar. There is no marriage or burial for him in Bedfordshire. Other Bentham names at Hockliffe (you may already know) are the burial of Thomas Bentham, vicar on 23/1/1614-15, burial of Elizabeth, wife of Richard Bentham on 20/2/1615-16 plus a marriage on 21/11/1622 of Geoffrey Blishe of Leicester to Elizabeth Bentham of Hockliffe. Also noticed a burial at nearby Battlesden on 25/9/1681 of Elizabeth Bentham, widow for whom Beds Archives has an Admon ref AR 1682: 1/162d 

We've visited this family before....
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=547657.0
Clement - Croydon

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for taking the time to have a look on my behalf, John. Yes, I have had threads about them before, with some success. It is the marriage of Francis that eludes me however. He died in 1670 in London. I have a fair bit of information about him and his descendants, and little tidbits appear from time to time. I might widen my search as you suggested above.

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 28 January 16 22:44 GMT (UK) »
It is true that Hockliffe isn't far from Bucks ... but neither is it far from Northants, straight up the A5.

Have you checked fro marriages in places like Towcester?
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 29 January 16 04:23 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, JBML. I hadn't thought about other counties; to be honest, I was thinking he married in either Bedfordshire or London. There was a Joseph Bentham who was a priest in Northamptonshire, who quite possibly was a brother or cousin of Francis.