Author Topic: Varley/ Atkinson married Kendal  (Read 1562 times)

Offline lynne99

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Varley/ Atkinson married Kendal
« on: Sunday 17 January 16 11:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi .  I am hoping some one will be able to help me find more info on this wedding.
Joseph Varley married Margaret Atkinson in Kendal on 11 Jan 1807.  I got this info from England select marriages on Ancestry.  These are my 3 x great grandparent.

They had my great x2 grandfather, Samuel, in Kendal 16 April 1809 and then moved to Liverpool before their next child Joseph was born in 1810 and the father died also in 1810.

I would like some help finding the church in which they were married and Samuel was baptised.  Also if possible how I can get a copy of the register entry from the church, in the hope that I can find the parents of Joseph and Margaret.

Any help would be appreciated  Thanks
I have also posted this on British Genealogy.  Hope this is ok.
Fletcher, Scotland pre 1850s Liverpool post 1850s
Manchester, Bickerstaffe and later Liverpool
Mitchell, Liverpool
Harrison and Howard all in  Liverpool, Gascoyne St area

Offline fretep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Varley/ Atkinson married Kendal
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 16 23:49 GMT (UK) »
Joseph & Margaret appear to have been married within 'Holy Trinity' in Kendal (or at least on of the chapelries). Depending on where you are located, the easiest way (usually) to view their marriage entry would be to order the appropriate LDS film (film # 973139) online and have this sent to your closest LDS branch library. This film also contains Samuel's baptism entry.

Note that Joseph & Margaret married by License and their surviving marriage bond (dated the 10 Jan 1807) is held at the Lancashire Record Office in Preston. The index shows Joseph recorded as 25 (which usually means 25+) and a leather dresser of Kendal and Margaret as 22 (which may or may not be 22+) and also of Kendal. A bondsman will have been recorded who may (or may not) have been related to either Joseph or Margaret. Both Joseph and the bondsman will have signed the bond or left their marks. A copy of the bond can be ordered through their website for about 5 pounds.

Offline lynne99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 06 February 16 09:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that Fretep.  That is exceedingly useful.  I will send for a copy of the license or bond or both if they are different.  The folks at Kendal records kindly photocopied the documents and posted them to me for a negligible cost.  They are lovely there and so helpful. (Just like you) 
Please could you send me the site to get these documents from??  Thanks again Lynne
Mitchell, Liverpool

Offline fretep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 February 16 12:53 GMT (UK) »
Detail re ordering copies can be found at http://www.lancashire.gov.uk/libraries-and-archives/archives-and-record-office/copies-of-documents.aspx which contains links to their online catalogue (should you wish to search for other records) as well as links to their 'order ' and 'copyright declaration' forms that you need to fill-out and post. The specific detail that you need to enter into the online form includes:
Reference number: ARR 11
Title:  Marriage Bond, 10/01/1807, Joseph VARLEY & Margaret ATKINSON

Did the Kendal marriage entry provide any extra clues as to Joseph or Margaret's families (such as witnesses, residence, etc.)? I'm not familiar with the surname VARLEY, yet if Joseph was born within Westmorland, I wonder if it may be a corruption of VAREY, which itself, occasionally appears as a corruption of AIREY (depending on the clerk).

Offline lynne99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 16 15:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that info. I will get on with it straight away.  The marriage register says they are both of the parish of Kendal.  No help there.  The witnesses were Isaac Manglove and Josihh? Garnell  (Maybe Garnill).  Varley is a common surname in Yorkshire.  There is a Joseph Varley born North Yorkshire about the correct time, but that is only guess work.  There is a Margaret Atkinson baptised Burniside 19 th October 1783.  Daughter of Margaret and Joseph Atkinson and also Sarah, their daughter being 4 years old. 
Could they have been non conformist.  As some of the next generation down were buried in a Wesleyan Chapel???
Mitchell, Liverpool

Offline lynne99

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 February 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
 :D  I have sent Lancashire records an e mail and will get a reply in 2 days.  Re how to pay and get the copies.   Thanks to you  ;D
Mitchell, Liverpool