Author Topic: Wysall  (Read 6479 times)

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Wysall
« on: Sunday 17 January 16 11:59 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to track a family named Stevenson. I have found a boy named Jesse who was born in 1870 in Wysall. In 1871 he is living with his grandparents William and Ann Stevenson along with their 12 year old daughter Mary. The address looks to be 2, Thorpe in Glebe.
I am not certain if Jesse is actually a part of my family tree but I think he might hold the key to unlocking the problem I have wrestled with for over twenty years. The family would seem to come from the Basford in Derbyshire area after this. Has anyone who knows the area, and the family names in that area, got any ideas, please?

Towdlass
Stevenson, Toulson, Owen, Bolland, Laxton, Brocksopp, Butler, Banks, Beadling.

Offline sgf28

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Wysall
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 16 12:05 GMT (UK) »
Here is his baptism just in case you haven't got it:

Jesse Stevenson

Baptism: 05 Oct 1870
Holy Trinity Wysall
-
Mother:Lucy Stevenson
Residence: Wysall

No father named

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 16 12:18 GMT (UK) »
Oh that's a great help. Thanks for that. I had no idea who his mother was.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 16 13:37 GMT (UK) »
Lucy Stevenson b 1844 Wysall, Nottinghamshire and living with William and Ann Stevenson in 1851  is listed as a housekeeper in 1871 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:VFTF-NTX

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 17 January 16 14:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Kay99. It's all building a picture.

Offline Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 17 January 16 14:25 GMT (UK) »
A tree on Anc lists Lucy as marrying an Edward Hallam on 23 Sept 1873 at Loughborough, Leicestershire and this is possibly Lucy in 1881  --  Luce Hallam b 1844 Wysall (with possible son William Hallam b 1880 Burton Upon Trent, Staffordshire) is listed as a visitor with a George Hallam b Wysall and family in Calstock Loughbough

In 1891 I think this is the family living at  Burton upon Trent with all children born there

Edward Hallam 50  b Wysall- Maltster
Lucy Hallam 47  B Wysall
George Hallam 16
William Hallam 11
Edward Hallam 8
John Hallam 6
George Bright 38  Lodger
Arthur Holden 26 Lodger

Offline sunflower

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 17 January 16 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Lucy Stevenson married Edward Hallam 23.9. 1873 at Wysall

Lucy Stevenson baptised 3.12. 1843 to William & Ann Labourer at Wysall

Carol
Derby- Bamford,Slater,Marriott,Lee,Fox,Hopkinson,Hawksley, Furniss, Froggatt, Stodd.
Notts - Breeding, Lacey Marriott ,Kershaw,Chambers,Geeson,Mitchell,Watts,Potts,Slack,Robinson, Cooper
Yorkshire - Potts, Bell, Derbyshire, Kershaw
Worcestershire - Dyson, Summers, Dearn, Jones
Warwickshire - Russon
Leicestershire - Stodd, Sarson, Berridge, Watts, Bradshaw.
Middlesex / Surrey - Markham, Pearce, Kalaher, Barrett

This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Derbysderek

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 17 January 16 19:22 GMT (UK) »
You probably know this already..but your mention of Basford raises a potential common problem.
Basford is an area in Nottingham..it's where I live..............no problem, but if you don't know that Basford is or was also a  registration District for BMD,s from 1837 onwards............thus, it is possible to get cinfused as to whether the person you are looking for comes from Notts or Derbys.
The Basford registration District originating in 1837 covered a whole area of South Eastern Derbyshire....Including the area around Ilkeston...do for instance a Birth Marriage or Death Registered in say 1867 in BASFORD....does not necessarily tell you that the person or family came from Nottinghamshire..in fact was much more likely to be Derbyshire..............it's as well to bear this in mind.....Wysall of course is a case in point..and is in Notts

You don't actually give any detail about the actual problem you are struggling with...

Derek
Willing to research Derbyshire ancestors (free of charge) have a large number of derbyshire parish records. and access to many others including full Census including 1911....

Offline Towdlass

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 16 11:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derbysderek,

Yes, I think you are right. I didn't realise that there are two Basfords. I have noticed that all the info does seem to relate to Wysall, Basford and Ilkeston.
The problem I have struggled with for many years seems to be unsolvable. This enquiry is a really tenuous possibility. I am trying to find an Edward Stevenson who might be my grandfather and who lived in Sheffield between 1912 and 1931. He and my gran never married but had 4 children together. The chances are that he might have been already married. Having no marriage cert I have no way of knowing his age or where he might have been born. The only fact I have is that he was a mechanical engineer. The four children's names are Margaret, Alwyn, Wilfred and Georgina. Having exhausted so many possible lines of enquiry over the years I recently came up with the possiblity that the names Alwyn and Wilfred might hold a clue as they are not names which appear in my grans family tree. I found that a Jesse and Sarah Stevenson  had numerous children, two of whom were named Alwyn and Wilfred. Jesse's mother was named Lucy Stevenson. She had brothers one of whom had a child named Edward. (Are you following????) I don't think he is the right one as he seems to have had children with his wife at roughly the same times as my family were being born in Sheffield and they are still living in Ilkeston.
I'm feeling that the answer could lie somewhere around this family though if I keep looking.
Thanks for your reply though as it was very helpful.

Towdlass