Author Topic: Kelly family Athlone ca 1850-1880; St. Peter's Church of Ireland, Athlone  (Read 2279 times)

Offline brambleside

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hello, I am searching for information regarding Mary Kelly, born ca 1860 in Roscommon.  She married James Henry Morley 29 Nov 1880 at St. Peter's, Church of Ireland, Athlone.  The marriage records states her father was Peter Kelly, a farmer, and that she resided at Preaching Lane.  James Henry was stationed in Athlone with the British Royal Artillery and resided in the barracks.

If anyone has any connections or advice as to how to research her birth or her parents marriage, I would appreciate it.....but I know there were several Kelly's in the area at that time.  I have only been able to find the Kelly/Morley marriage record via internet sources.

Also, my family is planning a trip to Ireland in May, and we wanted to visit the church, but I cannot find that St. Peter's still exists.....does anyone know what happened to it?

Thank you for taking the time to consider these questions.

Best wishes,
Jennifer Morley Dougan

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Kelly family Athlone ca 1850-1880; St. Peter's Church of Ireland, Athlone
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 17 January 16 20:18 GMT (UK) »
Could St.Peter's be St.Peter and Paul's.
Looking at the maps on OSI Mapviewer, St.Peter's is shown at Ganly Place on the 25" historic and on the modern map it's Corpus Christi.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/

This site names the oldest church as St.Peter's and Paul's an un-named COI church than the RC Corpus Christi
http://www.buildingsofireland.ie/niah/search.jsp?type=record&county=WM&regno=15000023

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 17 January 16 22:25 GMT (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 17 January 16 23:19 GMT (UK) »
How do you know Mary Kelly was born in Roscommon?

Offline brambleside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 16 02:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your quick replies and help, I sure appreciate it!  Having looked at the OSI historical map, current Google, and the article on Corpus Christi, I think you are right....St. Peter's was where CC is now, and the current building ca 1840 is likely to be the one my great-grandparents married in.  It will be wonderful to see :D  I wonder why St. Peter's was disbanded....more to find out!

The info that Mary Kelly was born in Roscommon came from the 1911 census in Sussex, England.  In the Woolwich, England 1901 census, it only stated Ireland as her birthplace.  She and James Henry Morley moved to Woolwich when he was transferred with the Royal Artillery, had sons in 1881 and 1883 in Woolwich, then went back to Ireland where they had a son in 1885 at Fermoy Barracks, then spent many years in serving in India before returning to England before 1901.

We do not have any other info on Mary's family, other than what was on the marriage certificate...that she was residing on Preaching Lane and her father Peter was a farmer.  Based on the 2 censuses and her supposed age at death in 1916, she was born ca 1860-61.

Best wishes,
Jenny

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 16 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Contact addresses on site I posted...
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline brambleside

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 16 18:16 GMT (UK) »
I have sent a query off to a contact at the Athlone diocese....thank you for your help!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 16 19:37 GMT (UK) »
Preaching Lane is on the Westmeath side of Athlone, it's also an unlikely address for a farmer as it's in the middle of a large town, so I doubt it's her parents home.
It could be a relatives or more likely she was working as a domestic or similar.

Which means she could be from just about anywhere in Roscommon.

There is no hard and fast rule with religious denomination and surnames but is there anything to suggest she had a dispensation to marry or a conversion before marriage.

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 18 January 16 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Any chance of going to Dublin?
http://sources.nli.ie/Record/MS_UR_015392