Author Topic: Toomey - Collins- Roche-Mulcare, Croom, Limerick  (Read 10375 times)

Offline Mrs Teddy Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Toomey - Collins- Roche-Mulcare, Croom, Limerick
« on: Saturday 16 July 05 18:58 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Michael Toomey who  married Bridget ( Brigid) Hayes in Croom  in November 1845. Their son Michael was born in 1846 and he married Catherine Collins or Roche. Do these names ring a bell with anyone?
Carnegie, Bushmills County Antrim, McLaughlin Campbell, Ballycastle . Toomey, Limerick, Dolan or Doulan or Doolan. McAlindon

Online luimneach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Toomey - Collins- Roche-Mulcare, Croom, Limerick
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 25 September 05 13:57 BST (UK) »
i don't know if it's the same family but my records show a michael t/br h with 7 baptisms in rathkeale parish 1854+.he was a shoemaker of well lane,rathkeale.

Offline Mrs Teddy Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 September 05 10:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks for this,

Iwill have a look at this.
Carnegie, Bushmills County Antrim, McLaughlin Campbell, Ballycastle . Toomey, Limerick, Dolan or Doulan or Doolan. McAlindon

Offline Shaztoni

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 September 05 17:21 BST (UK) »
Rathkeale is about 16 miles from Croom, which is quite a distance for the 1850's
This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online luimneach

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 September 05 19:54 BST (UK) »
the marriage and first baptisms are in croom 1845/52.if it's the same michael and bridget they had apparently moved to rathkeale by 1854 where remaining baptisms occurred.

Offline lipkatatar

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 31 July 09 17:42 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Michael Toomey who  married Bridget ( Brigid) Hayes in Croom  in November 1845. Their son Michael was born in 1846 and he married Catherine Collins or Roche. Do these names ring a bell with anyone?

The Michael Toomey and Catherine Collins mentioned here are my Great Great Grandparents. They moved to Port Glasgow in Scotland around 1865 with several chilldren, and had more children in Port Glasgow.  The 1881 census shows that they had 7 children living with them.  Steven (20) and Mary (18) had been born in Ireland, and  Michael (15), Bridget (13) , John (10), Catherine (5) and Helen (2) were all  born in Port Glasgow.

Michael and his eldest son were employed as blacksmiths.

In Catherine Collins/Toomey's death certificate (1888) it states that her father was John Collins, a butcher, and her mother was Dora Mul**** (the writing is unclear).  Michael died in 1891.

I would appreciate any further information on my Collins / Toomey / Hayes ancestry.

Best regards.
Jim Lipka

Offline Mrs Teddy Bear

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 August 09 13:35 BST (UK) »
Hi Jim

Michael and Catherine were also my Great Great Grandparents. I think I must have the same details as you  but  I have hit a brick wall when I get to the Irish side of things. I do not have any info on the Hayes or Collins side of things I am afraid. Still searching!

My maternal grandmother was a Toomey, her father was John. Where do you come in?

Regards

Mrs T

Offline lipkatatar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 08 August 09 21:29 BST (UK) »
Hi George!

Thanks for the response. I was unable to thank you  in a personal message as I am a new user.

I have checked out the Baptism of the Steven Toomey you mentioned.  His parents were Michael Toomey and Catherine Collins.   He was baptised on 29/12/1860 in St Johns Parish, which I believe covered Limerick City.

The parents of the Michael Toomey I am descended from are Michael and Bridget, but there is no mention of Bridget's maiden name, so it is not possible to say if she was the Bridget Hayes mentioned above.

I checked out the website you mentioned.  It is a real scam. They do not give enough information in their indices to accurately identify an individual.  I wasted 40 Euros checking out Mary Toomeys, none of whom were the one I was looking for.

Thanks for your help,
Jim Lipka

Offline lipkatatar

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 08 August 09 21:48 BST (UK) »
Hi Mrs T!

I am descended from John Toomey's elder sister Mary -  so I guess that makes us third cousins.
As you can see from the previous posting, John and Mary's elder brother Stephen was baptised in St John's Parish, Limerick in 1860.

My grandmother believed that the actor Peter O'Toole was a Toomey (in fact, my elder brother has a close physical resemblance to him). Have you heard this story?

Best regards,
Jim Lipka