Author Topic: 1899 Edinburgh Evening News article lookup  (Read 661 times)

Offline edempster

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1899 Edinburgh Evening News article lookup
« on: Monday 18 January 16 07:08 GMT (UK) »
This isn't exactly a Cumberland request, but there wasn't a Midlothian request board that I could find, and the family I'm researching is from Cumberland, so oh well! I would be so grateful if anyone could do a newspaper  look-up of the December 30th, 1899 issue of the Edinburgh Evening News. The specific article is "Traced Footsteps in Snow," about the conviction of John Bell for assault. I believe it is about my great-great-grandfather.

Thanks again.

Moderator comment: Edited for content

From our guidelines for posting

Please do not ask for specific look-ups from commercial sources. Most commercial sources have strict 'Terms of Use', which forbid publishing their data elsewhere, so asking for such look-ups is also asking people to ignore the 'Terms of Use'.

New members should take a few moments to read our guidelines for posting

http://www.rootschat.com/help/posting_guide.php

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1899 Edinburgh Evening News article lookup
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 16 14:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi edempster, welcome to RootsChat!

He was John Wm BELL, Plasterer of Roughrigg, Slamannan, jailed for 30 days for assault of a female farm servant at Southshield Farm, Slamannan on 25 December.
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 16 15:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Welcome to rootschat.

FindMyPast and BNA were running an offer of £1 for a month, I don't know if they are still valid.  Their T&C's don't allow us to do look ups

FindMyPast was   ancestryhour16
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 January 16 15:11 GMT (UK) »
Article in Evening News concerns John William Bell of Roughrigg, Slamannan who got 30 days in jail for assaulting a female servant  at Southshield Farm, Slamannan on 25th Dec. Traced by footsteps in the snow.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)

Offline edempster

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 16 16:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you all so much! How very strange--I was sure that this was the right man, but the details don't quite add up. A later conviction for assault lists a previous conviction at the Falkirk Sheriff's Court on 29th December 1899, with 30 days imprisonment, but my John Bell never gave a sign of having a middle name, and I've no idea what he would be doing in Scotland. Does anyone have any clue why a bricklayer (could a bricklayer/mason be interchangeable with a plasterer?) from Cockermouth would end up in Roughrigg? He was arrested on February 2nd, 1900 (right after his 30 days would have been up) in England for an assault that occurred in Cumberland in September 1899--I suppose he could have been on the run in Scotland in the interim.  Or were mistakes ever made in trial logs--could the magistrate somehow have received word of this John William Bell's conviction and made an incorrect connection?