Author Topic: Lived in st Pancras married in Lambeth  (Read 705 times)

Offline Laoise

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Lived in st Pancras married in Lambeth
« on: Monday 18 January 16 15:41 GMT (UK) »
The person I'm trying to search has stated they were born in st Pancras or st Giles in the fields about 1846 and st Giles is where they've lived in each census from 1851.

I haven't found a baptism record yet. I'm thinking they were Catholic, what would be the church for st Giles?

But both this person and her brother married in what I'm guessing is a Protestant church St John the Evangelist Lambeth. From my memory of London Lambeth and St Pancras are pretty spread apart? The husband was also born in st Pancras and they lived together as a couple in st Pancras so why marry in Lambeth?

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Lived in st Pancras married in Lambeth
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 16 17:04 GMT (UK) »
They're not too far apart, St Pancras is just north of the River Thames, Lambeth is just south.

Finding a Catholic baptism may not be easy.

You can search the Westminster Diocese here

http://rcdow.org.uk/diocese/directory/parishes/

I suppose the nearest deaneries would be Camden, Islington, Marylebone or Westminster

They might have been in Lambeth for work or found a Catholic parish they liked.

They might also have worshipped at St Giles as it has a long association with Catholicism. The registers have only been deposited for safe keeping in the last few years so haven't been digitised or transcribed.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline DavidG02

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lived in st Pancras married in Lambeth
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 16 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Could you post a name so we can have a look for you?

I also had ancestors in those areas and for myself would like to know how they might have moved about the city :)
Genealogy-Its a family thing

Paternal: Gibbins,McNamara, Jenkins, Schumann,  Inwood, Sheehan, Quinlan, Tierney, Cole

Maternal: Munn, Simpson , Brighton, Clayfield, Westmacott, Corbell, Hatherell, Blacksell/Blackstone, Boothey , Muirhead

Son: Bull, Kneebone, Lehmann, Cronin, Fowler, Yates, Biglands, Rix, Carpenter, Pethick, Carrick, Male, London, Jacka, Tilbrook, Scott, Hampshire, Buckley

Brickwalls-   Schumann, Simpson,Westmacott/Wennicot
Scott, Cronin
Gedmatch Kit : T812072