Author Topic: George Sullivan, Enlistment with Monaghan Reg. of Militia & 46th Reg. of Foot  (Read 700 times)

Offline S.Sullivan

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Sullivan volunteered  in the Monaghan Regiment of Militia  April 4, 1855 & was released from his Militia engagement to enlist with the 46th Regiment of Foot which he did. number was 3750 & then later went to the 7th Dragoon Guards. number 545

Would his enlistment papers be with Monaghan Reg. of Militia or 46th Reg. of Foot? As he was single at the time would he have had to put his parents name on as next of kin.? Where would I be able to find these enlistment papers, & what info. would be on them.

I am trying to find his parents names.  On his discharge papers it lists   being born in the parish of Muckno, near the town of Castleblayney, county of Monaghan in 1837.

When he was discharge from the 7th dragoon guards, in 1873, he stayed in England, which I have all the information.

The only other info. I have is that his Father was Michael Sullivan  who had been with the 7th Fusiliers, & was deceased by 1872, from George's marriage cert.

Any help would be most appreciated, as I am in Canada & am finding info. very hard to find.

Sharon

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: George Sullivan, Enlistment with Monaghan Reg. of Militia & 46th Reg. of Foot
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 16 15:54 GMT (UK) »
Won't help with military records but did you know the Catholic Parish records are online? Muckno Parish baptisms start Nov.1835-
http://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0294
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline S.Sullivan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: George Sullivan, Enlistment with Monaghan Reg. of Militia & 46th Reg. of Foot
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 16 16:03 GMT (UK) »
They weren't Catholic.

Thanks anyway

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 18 January 16 19:41 GMT (UK) »
The 46th would start a new set of papers, as there would be a different set of conditions of service compared to the Militia. If there was no gap in joining the 7 DGs his papers would go with him to his final regiment. If his papers are not on FIndmypast it will be because he did not serve long enough to receive a pension. Which was probably two periods of ten years each.

Where have you got these details from?

Ken

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 18 January 16 19:52 GMT (UK) »
The papers are on findmypast, 7 DG number is actually 575.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline S.Sullivan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 18 January 16 20:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes that is right his number should read 575  & the records are on find my past, & I have a copy of his discharge papers.
I also have a copy of the Regiment of Militia  releasing him & him enlisting to the 46th Reg. of Foot.
Sharon

Ken
The 46th would start a new set of papers, as there would be a different set of conditions of service compared to the Militia. If there was no gap in joining the 7 DGs his papers would go with him to his final regiment. If his papers are not on FIndmypast it will be because he did not serve long enough to receive a pension. Which was probably two periods of ten years each.

Where have you got these details from?

Ken

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 18 January 16 21:59 GMT (UK) »
I missed the fact you have his discharge papers. These plus his Attestation forms etc form his 'record'. You therefore have all that survive 150 years or so that they have culled his record to save space.

They did not record NoK until 20 years later. So you have not lost a lot.

Ken

Offline S.Sullivan

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 18 January 16 22:42 GMT (UK) »
Maybe I am missing something, but you said I had his  attestation  record , which I don't see that I have.  Aren't they the papers when the enlisted?

Sharon

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 06:07 GMT (UK) »
No, I said that his record would have once contained his attestation, plus discharge etc. But his record has been reduced in size to what you have now, in order to save space.

Ken