Author Topic: Am I clutching at straws? Archbell, mainly from Tadcaster.  (Read 3637 times)

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Am I clutching at straws? Archbell, mainly from Tadcaster.
« on: Monday 18 January 16 17:51 GMT (UK) »
My surname interest in this area is Archbell, mainly from Tadcaster.

I have a baptism in Tadcaster - for James Archbell =

Son of John Archbell of Tadcaster (Barber), son of John Archbell of Tadcaster (Joiner) by Grace his wife, daughter of ? Johnson of Tadcaster and Mary, daughter of Thomas Lamb of Appleton in the parish of Bolton Percy, farmer by Jane, daughter of .  Born Tuesday, 11 August, baptised Sunday 26 September 1778.

I have never been able to find a marriage between John Archbell and Grace Johnson.

Today, I found a marriage between John Archbell and Grace Green - Tadcaster - 2 December 1733.  No further information in the register.

There are a couple of children baptised in Tadcaster to coincide with this date - one of them being John, son of John baptised in Tadcaster on 21 July 1734/5.

On looking further I can now find a marriage - 16 June 1723 at Thorner (7 miles from Tadcaster) between Richard Green and Grace Johnson.  I can't pin down a burial for Richard within the timescale, although there is a possibility in Pontefract (15 miles from Tadcaster) in 1732.

When Grace Archbell died in 1786, she was said to be aged 87, so a birth year of about 1699.  I can't see any baptisms for around this date for Grace Johnson.

Any thoughts, anyone?   
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline clayton bradley

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: Am I clutching at straws?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 18 January 16 19:21 GMT (UK) »
It looks very plausible. If Grace's mother was a Lamb, is there a Lamb/Green marriage? cb
Broadley (Lancs all dates and Halifax bef 1654)

Offline davidft

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Am I clutching at straws?
« Reply #2 on: Monday 18 January 16 19:30 GMT (UK) »
Re the 1699 birth possibly in Thorner, a parish in its own right (but does not appear to start on the IGI until 1728)

I see there is a Thorner Historical Society

http://www.thornerhistory.org.uk/

and a link eleswhere says they published a list of their parish records in 1980

THORNER : C 1606-07, 1632-35 (BTs), C 1623-29, 1636-1841, M 1606-07, 1633-39 (BTs), M 1655-1841, B 1606-07, 1632-39 (BTs), B 1623-25, 1655-1841; list of clergy 1606-1837 [Typescript.]
Published   : Thorner & District Historical Society, 1980
Author   Boyle, M Alison ed.

I did not see it on their website but they may be able to point you in the direction of a copy.

Failing that the LDS have copies on film and I may be able to access a copy at the SOG library but not sure when i will next be going
James Stott c1775-1850. James was born in Yorkshire but where? He was a stonemason and married Elizabeth Archer (nee Nicholson) in 1794 at Ripon. They lived thereafter in Masham. If anyone has any suggestions or leads as to his birthplace I would be interested to know. I have searched for it for years without success. Thank you.

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Am I clutching at straws? Archbell, mainly from Tadcaster.
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 19 January 16 08:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the replies.

cb - don't think there is a connection between Green and Lambe as they are in-laws.  Sometimes these Dade registers are a little confusing.  James is son of John and Mary (Lamb), whilst John is the son of John and Grace Archbell (Johnson) and Mary is the daughter of Thomas and Jane Lamb.

David - in theory the BTs for Thorner are on FindMyPast from 1606.  I can't see any baptism for Grace Johnson there in the timescale - Wakefield 1692, Kilham 1694, New Malton and York in 1696.  Doesn't help that I don't know her father's forename either.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 January 16 06:52 GMT (UK) »
BuzzyB

Have you a PR copy of James Archbell baptism Tadcaster ~~~~If so can you Email me a copy

Sometimes the person (Stand in Vicar) who enters the entry get parents and grandparents names mixed up on dade entries

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 January 16 08:14 GMT (UK) »
I'll do it when I get home tomorrow.  I know that errors occur - he who never made a mistake never made anything  ;D and there are some in the Tadcaster registers.

Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 January 16 16:30 GMT (UK) »
Richard Green burial 1728 All Saint's York - Bearing in mind Thorner is just off the main A 64 road Leeds to York and Grace ends up at Tadcaster on the A 64 road to & even closer to York

http://search.findmypast.co.uk/results/world-records/yorkshire-bishops-transcripts-of-burials?firstname=richard&firstname_variants=true&lastname=%20green&_page=2
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 January 16 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that.  Something to bear in mind, although the entry does say "Richard, son of Richard" which to me signifies a child, BUT.  On the other hand I can't see anything closer, in the right area, nearer to 1733.
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 25 January 16 16:56 GMT (UK) »
Logistical Christian theology or basic maths

How many John Archbell's married a Grace ??? in Tadcaster or surrounding area 1700's - not a lot of straws if it be but one. ;D