Author Topic: Llanwonno St. Gwynno's  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Llanwonno St. Gwynno's
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 23:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi Deirdre
Yes there are lots of gravestones of that age and older, such as Guto Nyth Bran's grave (Griffith Morgan), but many graves have no headstone at all.

Thanks Sam, and an amazing headstone too. Not at St Gwynno's but I've struggled to find many ancestors with headstones in the 1900s yet alone earlier, yet they give so much valuable info.
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline moggymorgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 09:09 GMT (UK) »
Morning Sam,

Thank you so much for the photograph and the translation. Very kind of you to take the time and trouble to do that and very much appreciated.

Onwards now trying to Evan's wife.
Thanks
Moggy

Morgan - Hopkins - Williams - Glamorgan Wales:
Hughes - Hurst- Cassidy - Southern Ireland

Offline Sam Swift

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 20:46 GMT (UK) »
Croeso You're very welcome.

Offline angel58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 17:46 GMT (UK) »
i believe my aunt,, sarah anne matthews nee thomas is also buried at llanwonno cemetery possibly around the 1970s..but i couldnt find her grave.. any help appreciated thanks

Offline moggymorgan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 16 February 16 18:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I was lucky as someone was very kind and looked up my family query.  Hope you are as lucky and someone picks up your request too.
Mogs
Morgan - Hopkins - Williams - Glamorgan Wales:
Hughes - Hurst- Cassidy - Southern Ireland

Offline brianthetaff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 14 April 16 17:24 BST (UK) »
I was born and brought up in Blaenllechau, on the other side of the mountain from Llanwonno, where both my paternal grandparents are buried. The last time I was there - around mid 1990's, the only gravestones were all around the church that could possibly be identified. The rest of the graveyard was totally overgrown and I couldn't find my grandparents' graves at all.
Llanwonno is, as most people know, well off the beaten track to say the least and when my grandfather was buried during the harsh winter of 1952, there was so much snow that for the last mile and a half, his coffin was taken up to the graveside on a sledge.
The other very little known bit of information I have on Llanwonno is that the singing for the film "ZULU" was done there by the Ferndale Imperial Choir whose President was the late Sir Stanley Baker.
Evans; Davies; Locke; Stafford; Lawrence; Moore; Angrave; Sparrow; Harrold; Billington; Wilson; Freestone; Horsley; Norton; Cave; Page; Kettell; Abell & Whapples.

Offline angel58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 14 April 16 17:40 BST (UK) »
I was born and brought up in Blaenllechau, on the other side of the mountain from Llanwonno, where both my paternal grandparents are buried. The last time I was there - around mid 1990's, the only gravestones were all around the church that could possibly be identified. The rest of the graveyard was totally overgrown and I couldn't find my grandparents' graves at all.
Llanwonno is, as most people know, well off the beaten track to say the least and when my grandfather was buried during the harsh winter of 1952, there was so much snow that for the last mile and a half, his coffin was taken up to the graveside on a sledge.
The other very little known bit of information I have on Llanwonno is that the singing for the film "ZULU" was done there by the Ferndale Imperial Choir whose President was the late Sir Stanley Baker.

Offline angel58

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 14 April 16 17:50 BST (UK) »
hi brianthetaff... both sets of my paternal grandparents were born and lived in blaenllechau,,, as was my father and his siblings,,, they lived on long row,,,

Offline brianthetaff

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 14 April 16 18:00 BST (UK) »
Nice to see a connection. I actually delivered papers along Long Row and all the other streets behind it probably around 1957-59, but the names of most people escape me now. Commercial Street was where my grandparents and our family lived-all rented houses then. Llanwonno was the  place we went to regularly during school holidays, lovely memories of the silence and beauty.

Evans; Davies; Locke; Stafford; Lawrence; Moore; Angrave; Sparrow; Harrold; Billington; Wilson; Freestone; Horsley; Norton; Cave; Page; Kettell; Abell & Whapples.