Author Topic: Ketterick  (Read 2660 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Ketterick
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 23:19 GMT (UK) »
Catherine, age 61, widow, born Stirling

Death cert. on SP 1891 - 1901 should name both parents (with mother's m/s) for Titus (if known by informant)

Annie
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline apanderson

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 23:57 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the additional info Annie.

I knew Fergie would know 'Tilli' was Tillicoutry and the question mark wasn't really about that, it was more questioning if Devon Square was perhaps there. (We know now where it is).

Anne

Offline Fergie38

• RootsChat Veteran
  • There's only one eF in Ferguson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 25 January 16 20:10 GMT (UK) »
Thanks again Anne for that additional info.
I've uncovered an A4 sheet of paper drawn up by one of the Kettrick that refer to John Kettrick as 'Sauchie John'  The village of Sauchie is only a mile or so from Devon Square.
The paper doesn't name John's wife and only names three children.
I've heard or read somewhere that one of the Kettrick's was known as 'Old Sebasapol' so he must have been an ex-army man.

Thanks too to Rosinish for you help.

Cheers.

Robert.
Ferguson (Stirling & Parish of Kincardine) Stevenson (Bannockburn) Cowan (Stirling) McLean (Glasgow,  Dundee & Skye)

Offline macalloa

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 16 February 21 19:49 GMT (UK) »
Good Evening - I've just stumbled upon this thread more or less by accident.

Thaddeus (aka Teddy/Ted) Ketterick 1894-1953 married Julia Purcell 1890-1949 in Alloa in 1923.

Julia was the older sister of my maternal grandmother. The couple had no children, although both had several siblings.

If I've done my basic homework correctly, Teddy's father was John Kettrick 1871-1933, although his birth year might be 1869/1870, records are a bit unclear. So I'm thinking that would be John's photo at the start of this thread.

So Ted's paternal grandfather would be Titus, born in Ireland 1845 or thereabouts.

Teddy was a miner and lived in the miner's row 12 Devon Village, Fishcross, near Sauchie. I believe his brother Alexander may have lived a few doors away at some point.