Author Topic: Abel Jones's parents  (Read 716 times)

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Abel Jones's parents
« on: Wednesday 20 January 16 15:51 GMT (UK) »
I have come up against a brick wall with my 3xGGrandfather the ubiquitous John Jones and his wife Margaret who were the parents of Abel Jones (1827-1897).
The only clues I have are from Abel's baptism record at Llanddulas Church on 26 August 1827. At the time the family were living at Rhyd y foel and John's occupation was Labourer.
In the 1841 Census Abel (aged 15) was a Quarryman resident (presumably a lodger) with Evan Davies, Gorlan-Penmachno. Abel married in Penmachno on 1 June 1850, his father John's occupation was now Farmer and I presume was still alive since the word "deceased" does not appear against his name. I also presume that Abel had some education in his early life since he signed his name on marriage register. In later life Abel was a minor poet with a poetic name "Abel Colwyn" which might indicate that he had a connection to Old Colwyn when a boy.
Any help would be appreciated.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Abel Jones's parents
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Were there any more children baptised to Abels parents at Llanddulas  :-\

The absence of the word deceased on a marriage certificate is not always accurate.  It was not a question that the clergy were required to ask.

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Glynm

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abel Jones's parents
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 16:24 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rosie

I have not been able to find any other siblings certainly not in Llanddulas, however, from experience of tracking other ancestors it would appear that agricultural labourers were quite mobile at the time. I agree that there is no guarantee that John would be alive in 1841 and again only going on experience of other marriage registers I have seen.
The only marriage record I could find in the vicinity of a John Jones marrying a Margaret is in Llysfaen on 6 June 1808 between John Jones and Margaret Owens but once again no guarantee that these are my ancestors.

Glyn
Jones - Penmachno/Blaenau Ffestiniog/Capel Garmon
Thomas - Abererch/Porthmadog
Evans - Llangelynin/Llanaelhaern
Jones - Pwllheli/Abererch
Brammer - Lincolnshire/Nottinghamshire
Robb - London/Scotland