Author Topic: 1650s Scots - mostly undecipherable to me.  (Read 706 times)

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
1650s Scots - mostly undecipherable to me.
« on: Wednesday 20 January 16 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Any help greatly appreciated on this, thanks in advance.

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: 1650s Scots - mostly undecipherable to me.
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 20:12 GMT (UK) »
Be it knawin to all men be thir present l[ett]res me James Burntoun onlie lau[ful ..............bit hidden by white streaks .......................] good and usuall Scottes money th[e?]n advanced payed and delivered be the saides umq[uhi]le Richart burntoun elder and John Burntoun his sone for themselves and in name and behalf of umq[uhi]le Thomas Richart John James and Alexander burntons oyes to the said imq[uhi]le Richart burntoun elder and sones to the said umq[uhi]le John Burntoun elder to the said umq[uhi]le Sir John Stewart of Traquair He sold [    ] wodset and deponed from him his heirs .....

be = by
thir = these
umquhile = late/deceased
oye = grandson
wadset = to pledge/mortgage

Offline 1716

• RootsChat Extra
  • Hi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 20:47 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for that.

Were Thomas, Richard, John, James and Alexander all dead at this time, or is there not enough information to go on?

With other information I have this would say that Richard was the grandfather.

Thomas was the eldest son,
John (elder) was the father of Thomas, Richard, John, James and Alexander,
and his other brother was Richard.  Richard had one son called James

John (junior) got the lands (unless Thomas has a son called John as well).

This could put my 10th great grandfather as Richard, takes me back to the Tutors, and I could call it enough!

I will need to get the full page translated, but many many thanks for your help.

Disposition by James Bruntoun, eldest lawful son of the late Richard Bruntoun in Bold, and heir of provision to the late Thomas Bruntoun eldest brother of his said father Richard, in favour of John Bruntoun in Bold his cousin, of the five husband lands of the town and lands of Bold in the Sheriffdom of Peebles

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 20 January 16 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Richard is the grandfather, John his son, and John's sons are Thomas, Richard, John, James and Alexander. It first refers to the umquhile Richard and John. If both were dead, I would have expected the adjective to be plural (umquhiles), yet it is clearly stated later on that John is dead. The umquhile before Thomas is also singular, but in view of the use of the singular earlier to refer to two people, it may well be that all the grandchildren are dead. It is usual to list sons in order of age.