Author Topic: Army Chaplain Registers  (Read 700 times)

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Army Chaplain Registers
« on: Thursday 21 January 16 12:50 GMT (UK) »
Do the Army Chaplain Registers include Catholic births/baptisms? I'm trying to establish whether there were any more children born to my gg grandfather whilst serving. So far I've managed to find 6 children but not one of his children is listed on the registers. I wondered if this was due to the fact that they were Catholic? His son had 9 children whilst serving in the Army and all of his children are listed but they weren't Catholic. Thanks.

Offline PJWELLS

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Army Chaplain Registers
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 February 16 08:05 GMT (UK) »
Having found the children on the INDEX, have you applied for the certificate/s from the GRO, and have you looked for the baptism locally in the likely parish. It might help if you declared the time period , locations and names or even the Regiment of the records you are looking for on the posting.
I have found a local parish record for an event in Dublin 1828, but not for a similar record in Hull 1834, where the bapt took place at the Garrison of the 53rd foot.
I am not sure that the faith is any issue with these sorts of records, obviously the local record would.
Have you looked through or searched the INDEX for all events with the same Regiment ( not necessarily the same Vol number) , this may indicate a likely location of perhaps a "missing entry" which is more likely the problem. Have you looked at the quantity of records for the target years compared with the while decade +/- 5 years of the target to see if there is likely to be missing entries. A phone call or formal £9.25 certificate application  to the GRO giving them all the information, including and especially the Regiment and likely Vol and Page number could well be successful, the £9,25 would be refunded if there was no result, so you really have nothing to loose.
Have you searched ALL the other Army birth INDEX titles.
And, as a matter of topical interest to me, have you identified the couples marriage? on the army records.

Offline lalkav

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Army Chaplain Registers
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 February 16 11:59 GMT (UK) »
This is the info that I have so far.
My gg grandfather James Kavanagh married Mary Murphy 1842 Co Carlow, Ireland – info found on NLI Catholic Parish Registers, no civil registration at that time. First child Anne Kavanagh born 1843 Co Carlow – baptism info found on NLI Catholic Parish Registers, no civil registration.
April 1845 James enlisted in the Somerset Light Infantry (13th) and was posted to Kent, wife Mary and daughter Anne went with him.
Son Bryan Richard (my great grandfather) born Oct 1845 in Walmer, Kent – info found on England & Wales BMD Index, certificate acquired from GRO. No baptism record found.
Daughter Maria born 1848 Co Offaly – info found on 1851 census. No baptism record found, no civil registration.
Son Patrick born 1850 Fort George, Inverness, Scotland – info found on 1851 census. No baptism record found, no civil registration.
Daughter Mary Ann born 1854 Co Tipperary – info found on NLI Catholic Parish Registers, no civil registration.
James was then stationed overseas for a long period of time. As I can find no children I presume that his wife Mary didn’t go with him.
Daughter Catherine born 1863 Co Carlow – info found on NLI Catholic Parish Registers, no civil registration.
I haven’t found any of James’ children on the Army Chaplain Registers. However, I’ve found all of my great grandfathers (Bryan Richard) children. He also enlisted in the SLI and all of his children are on the attached document. His children were all COI which is what made me wonder if there was a different protocol for different religions.