Author Topic: New information, names of five French Canadians lost on the Annie Jane  (Read 5887 times)

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New information, names of five French Canadians lost on the Annie Jane
« Reply #27 on: Friday 29 January 16 17:11 GMT (UK) »
That's amazing that you found the matching numbers!!! Way to GO!!!

..That is how I was taught to make a script "capital I" and it doesn't match the other J's

if it is a J 
Just found this one in 1861 Joseph Jalbert  Christening Date 14 May 1820 Trois-Rivières, Saint-Maurice, Quebec  Birth 14 May 1820  Father Jean Charles Jalbert    Mother Josephte Desilets

and there is this carpenter ( builts ox-drawn carts)  in 1852, Quebec city St. Roch, who is born the same year...but unusually odd is that the birth dates are added in a notation....this was not done for another 50 years as far as i know. The rest of the date doesn't match

Joseph Octave Jalbert - Born in L'islet October 7, 1820
http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census52/SplitView.jsp?id=60884

1871 Mont-Carmel, Champlain ..not sure if this rules out the other one as this one a farmer, different spouse...
http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1871/jpg/4395450_00079.jpg
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 29 January 16 22:58 GMT (UK) »
..That is how I was taught to make a script "capital I" and it doesn't match the other J's

After going through both Merchant Seaman and Deaths at Sea couldn't really find anything beginning with "I", "J", or "T" that looked reasonable.

Have also been looking a bit a the various census years on LAC but feel like I need some idea of birth date before being able to narrow them down.

So I'm back to being stumped  :)
England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 30 January 16 17:05 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to you both for all your help.
I appreciate all the hard work you have put in to this.

Let me sum up for I am getting confused.

Amable MOAN - Ticket: 100046   Amable Lemoine aged 26 L'islet Quebec
Samuel LANGLAS - Ticket: 100031   Samuel Langois aged 28 Quebec, Ticket 1000310
Joseph TALLAT -Ticket: 100012   Joseph Jalbert aged 54 Quebec ( two of them are the same age )
Andre DRAPEAU - Ticket: 100022  Andre Drapeau aged 34, Ticket 100033
Napoleon MERCAR - Ticket: 105644 Napolean Mercier aged 26 Quebec Ticket 1056440
Edward Durrant - Ticket: 699097 St Johns Newfoundland
Ubalel Gagnon - Birthplace Canada

That's a lot more information than I had, I will update the website if you have no objections.
Nothing is set in stone, will keep updating the website as long as I can.

Regards and thanks again for your input.

Allan

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 30 January 16 17:43 GMT (UK) »

Joseph TALLAT -Ticket: 100012   Joseph Jalbert aged 54 Quebec ( two of them are the same age )

Hi Allan:

I would just suggest adding the ticket number to Joseph Jalbert - 100012 - helps keep them connected.

I must be missing something now - wondering where the Tallat / Jalbert age is coming from?

sami

England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 30 January 16 18:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for keeping me right Sami

Both the Joseph Jalberts were born in 1820 that would make them 33 not 54, maths was never my strong point.

Regards Allan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 30 January 16 20:08 GMT (UK) »
Sorry to be a stickler, but I'm pretty sure the only one who looks to be more certain thus far....and be given a place name within Quebec would be Linda's find of a navigator :

Napoleon Mercar = Napoleon Mercier  1851 Census L'Islet, Quebec

There is no proof of the age of Tallot/Jalbert in either deaths at sea nor merchants marines was there?....and the huge discrepancy in the 2 surname spellings says to me there is more digging to be done before saying much else about him about him. ( or any of the others, beyond what Sami has found to be actually documented)
Speaking of which using the words Merchant Marine or at least M.M. beside the ticket numbers would show the finds to be more valid.

"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Sunday 31 January 16 10:55 GMT (UK) »
Hello guys

JJ you are of course right, that more digging is required, the problem is it does not seem to matter how much digging you do, looking back over 160 years ago to a time when record keeping was in its infancy it is nearly impossible to be 100% sure of anything.
When I began looking it was for the origins of approx 471 people, I have inquiries running everywhere, juggling that with a busy life and the demands of home life, I wish I could devote myself exclusively to one line of enquiry. This deserves more time than I have so I am dependent on enthusiastic people like you and I can't thank you enough.
I am hoping the crew list if it exists will confirm the names of the crew, a roots chatter has volunteered and is going in to the national archives soon for me. I will leave putting the certificate numbers till then' I would like to do it for them all.
The reason I have put the names and ages on the anniejane  website is it puts in the public forum, this is not the only web site I am posting questions on, though it is by a long way the best. I think its obvious that the website is a work in progress, but this gives other people the chance to say, No that's wrong, and on numerous occasions that has happened.

But you have made a very important point and one I need to address, so I am going to put a disclaimer on the website saying that I do not guarantee the accuracy of the research, and that it is a work in progress.

Thanks again

Regards Allan

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 31 January 16 21:50 GMT (UK) »
I just found a bit older post, allen, in which Linda had already found some of the information regarding the Merchant seamen  ....You need to either repeat the information found or link to the older post, so as to not duplicate searches.
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=731589.9

I'd suggest for the website using c. before the dates ie:c. 1820...as we all know without births, all other sources are often questionable. ( people fibbed all the time on various docs, and census answers are often slippery, were they born there or "of " "from" there at the time)

also....adding: This IS an online forum and you might be better off just linking to these pages rather than uploading info that isn't certain...rather than further muddying the waters?*
( ie: This posting could linked to as Crew Lost... It would also be a quick way back into the site for you, and a way to be sure you're not duplicating requests)

Just a suggestion, it is your site... J.J.

* What is true and what is not?  Such as the parliamentery proceedings listing 101 names of survivors, The times newspaper  102...
https://books.google.ca/books?id=nqkSAAAAYAAJ&pg=PA197&lpg=PA197&dq="steerage"+crew

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Tuesday 02 February 16 14:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi JJ
I am not ignoring you will reply ASAP, our phone lines are down so no internet, just a very poor mobile signal.

Regards Allan