Author Topic: New information, names of five French Canadians lost on the Annie Jane  (Read 5886 times)

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New information, names of five French Canadians lost on the Annie Jane
« Reply #36 on: Thursday 04 February 16 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Hello everybody

Could somebody please remind me what we did before the internet?

JJ that post was a long time ago and I had forgotten about it, thanks for pointing it out.

As for what is certain, nothing much as you so rightly point out, they could not even agree about the casualty list. 102 is the right figure, for some inexplicable reason Rachael Kelly a child survivor is left of the list yet three other members of her family are on it. She appears in Oban and back home with the rest of her family. I have an article which says "and little Rachael an engaging child, who was left of the list of survivors" and no she is not Rachael Barry, I have her elsewhere.
So what can I be 100% sure off ? one of the survivors had a different surname at three different locations.
As you say people re-invent themselves all the time, I have found joiners who were labourers and women assuming new married surnames.
I have added about 20 names to the casualty list since I started this and now the names of another 5 seamen are on the site, exact name, age ? probably not ? but as you so rightly point out names ages were fluid ? Hopefully in the future some relative doing a tree will do a search with variants and find them, get in touch with me and then it will be exact.
They will know they did not drown on the Annie Lane as find your past maintains, but the Annie Jane?

Regards everybody

Allan

Offline Vatersay

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: New information, names of five French Canadians lost on the Annie Jane
« Reply #37 on: Thursday 02 August 18 17:11 BST (UK) »
Hello everybody

Just working my way through old posts and tidying up. As some of the information on this post is now out of date. This now is quite definite as the information was taken from the crew agreement which was discovered in the national archives. After each of their names under reason for leaving ship is ( believed drowned ) So any information on the original crew agreement would have come directly from them as they signed on the ship.
In the crew discharge document the surviving French Canadians with the exception of two sign with a mark, given that, they may not even have known how to spell there own names. Names below are taken verbatim from the crew agreement.

Not looking for any new information, just want to put the correct names on the post.

They were Amable Morin: Seaman aged 25, L'islet Quebec, register number 100046
                Samuel Langlois: Seaman aged 28, Quebec, register number 100310
                Joseph Jalbert:Seaman aged 19, Quebec, register number 100012
                Andre Drapeau: Seaman aged 24, Quebec, register number 100033
                Napolean Mercier: Seaman aged 24, Quebec,register number 1056640

Also lost on the Annie Jane other French Canadians never listed anywhere.
                Pierre Chevanelle: Seaman aged 29,register number 99969
                Uhalt Gagnon: Seaman/carpenter, aged 24, Canada. register number 105641
                Elie Levesque: Seaman, aged 24, L'islet Quebec, register number 684021