Author Topic: Lost Cousins - Customer service at it's worst?  (Read 51070 times)

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Cousins - Customer service at it's worst?
« Reply #27 on: Friday 22 January 16 10:45 GMT (UK) »
I've been a free member from the site's early days and have conscientiously entered all my relatives, but have never had a single contact from any "lost cousins", so it's been of little use to me.

I too am getting a little tired of his Find My Past affinity, also his jam making and his shopping tips.  The newsletter is beginning to look like a personality trip and I can't help thinking that he is earning commission from the sites and items he recommends. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Friday 22 January 16 11:25 GMT (UK) »
I've been a free member from the site's early days and have conscientiously entered all my relatives, but have never had a single contact from any "lost cousins", so it's been of little use to me.

I suppose like any other "family finding" site it only works if distant relations are also members. As I'm no longer subscribed I'll never find out.  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Friday 22 January 16 11:32 GMT (UK) »
I've found most of the interested ones via Genes Reunited. :)
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Friday 22 January 16 11:51 GMT (UK) »

My relatives don't appear on the census's that he lists on the site, so it will be of little use to me, but the foot note at the bottom of the latest newsletter was the clincher for me to have my account cancelled.  The final sentance reads....

."............................... And if you're not researching your family tree, never have done, and have no aspiration to do so in the future, please let me know so that I can close your account."

It makes one wonder why he got started in the first place.  I have found most genealogists to be a friendly bunch willing to help one another or are all the good ones on RC    ;) :D
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Friday 22 January 16 17:24 GMT (UK) »
Just to say on the other side - and everyone is perfectly entitled to their views - that I continue to enjoy the Lost Cousins Newsletter, from the genealogical point of view and also in terms of tips and recommendations.

My only communications with Peter were perfectly courteously responded to.  I am a member of his Forum, but don't participate because RC is excellent and there's not enough time in the day for RC and research as it is.

It takes all sorts which is why life is so interesting.   ;D
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Friday 22 January 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »
I am a member of his Forum, but don't participate because RC is excellent and there's not enough time in the day for RC and research as it is.

I think Igor you have hit the nail on the head so to speak regarding the lack of success of the Lost Cousins Forum.  Rootschat being an established forum with a large membership has meant that the LC Forum needed to play catch up from the start.  Unfortunately, in restricting the ability of people to join the forum, something that still continues, it was always going to struggle to compete and, as both I and others have said, the apparently cliqueyness (don't think that's the correct spelling ;D) of the forum adds to its problems.

As to experience of communication with Peter, well I've experienced both sides of his character.  I have emailed him in relation to help clarify a couple of things he mentioned in his newsletter and received a polite response, one of which he was grateful about because he wasn't aware of the change of terms in relation to usage of the particular service and updated the newsletter accordingly.  However, I have also had a somewhat heated discussion with him when he insisted that ancestry had been hacked the other year when it suffered a DDoA attack because for me the use of the term hacking was somewhat inaccurate and could lead to anxiety amongst those who weren't entirely familiar with what had happened to the site (it wasn't hacked, just taken offline by too much internet traffic). 

Whether a minority or not, people's views of Peter will be coloured by their experiences of communication with him and, to be frank, some do appear to be somewhat rude.  That obviously applies to many situations and is not just restricted to LC, but for someone who is running a business (namely the LC site) a little more diplomacy when replying even if he is very frustrated with people wouldn't do any harm to limit negative feedback as has been seen on this thread.

As for the LC Newsletter, in the past I've always thought it was very informative and useful, however over the last 18 months I personally think it has become rather limited in what has been included and I've found out far more from other sources, much of which he hasn't included when his next letter was released.  I suppose some of this may be down to him concentrating perhaps more on his forum and less on the newsletter.  But again that is just my personal opinion.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline weste

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 19:50 GMT (UK) »
He's actually said in his newsletter today he gets commission from from findmypast, hence to link vis his site.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 19:56 GMT (UK) »
He's actually said in his newsletter today he gets commission from from findmypast, hence to link vis his site.

Regardless of ones opinion of him, there would be no advantage to him in negotiating discounts for recipients of his news letter if he didn't get a commission, so I have no problem with that.

Jebber
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Sunday 07 February 16 08:56 GMT (UK) »
Just to say on the other side - and everyone is perfectly entitled to their views - that I continue to enjoy the Lost Cousins Newsletter, from the genealogical point of view and also in terms of tips and recommendations.

I still get the newsletter and pick up some good things from it.... I've just learned which bits to skim! ;D

There's no need to be rude to your members though. Unless you want to lose even more members and deter new ones from joining..... not a particularly good business plan.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!