Author Topic: Lost Cousins - Customer service at it's worst?  (Read 51183 times)

Offline sami

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Grannie M
    • View Profile
Re: Lost Cousins - Customer service at it's worst?
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 11 May 16 20:37 BST (UK) »
I also enjoy Lost Cousins, along with RootsChat and endless other worldwide resources that can be utilised while you are doing genealogy.

Why does one always have to be better than the other?

Depending on what you are researching every site has value.

sami

England:  Archer, Bailey, Bates, Blower, Bosworth, Court, Hicklin, Orton, Palmer, Robbins, Sedgwick, Smith, Stevenson, Stone, Varnam, Wakelin, Walker
Canada:  Archer, Walker, Spencer, Shepherd
Australia:  Taplin
South Africa:  Risley

Offline Fogmoose

• RootsChat Senior
  • For many hours and days that pass ever soon...
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Monday 04 July 16 17:41 BST (UK) »
I don't think the OP was about one site being better than another. I think it was about the quite rude attitude of the founder of Lost Cousins. However, upon reading the entire thread, I am willing to overlook that since it appears the man has had some serious health issues. Perhaps he was having a bad day that day. Also, I have just registered on LC and entered 5 or 6 ancestors. No matches, but every avenue should be utilized in the never ending search for family.
Jaffray, Morrison - Monquhitter
Bird or Burd, Ironside - Methlick
Young - Aberdeen, Banffshire
Reid, Milne - Kincardineshire
Sanderson, Marshall, Marr - Foveran
Black, Ross - Rathven
Searle or Seale, Steel(e), Forbes, Adams- Aberdeen
Hutche(s)on, Keith, Greig, Fowlie - Cuminestown, New Deer, Monquhitter, Methlick

Offline rogerrabbit

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 10:15 GMT (UK) »
It seems the attitude of the LostCousins staff has not improved over the years - arrogance and rudeness abound. They really need some lessons in customer service!

Offline Ian Nelson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Everyone who uses a Free website must bear in mind that it is a labour of love for the hard-working provider of much relevant information ... it is not a massive commercial venture with 'staff' who must be aware of 'customer service'.  I have used it successfully to find Cousins and although a subscriber I haven't paid for any subscription and find the regular newsletter provides invaluable information and discount links to findmypast and ancestry amongst others.  I'm happy to donate whenever I get something for free, as I do to this site and wikipedia.
I was in business for 40 years and every now and then a rogue complaining 'customer' with little justification would tell me how to run my company and how bad my 'service attitude was'.  When they crossed the line they got short shrift and asked the telling question, " What else do you want for FREE ?"
Norfolk, Nelsons of Gt Ryburgh, Gooch, Howman, COLLISONS,  Ainger, Couzens, Batrick (Norfolk & Dorset), Tubby ( also of Yorkshire) Cathcarts of Ireland, Lancashire & Isle of Wight) Dickinsons of Morecambe and Lancaster, Wilson of Poulton-le-Sands and Broughton.  Wilson - Ffrance of Rawcliffe,  Mitchells of Isle of Wight. Hair of Ayrshire, Williamson of Tradeston, Glasgow. Nelsons in Australia with Haywards Heath connections.

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Ian Nelson - I agree.  I don't think Peter Calver is particularly rude, I think it's just his manner and as he says he and his wife have been shielding and cleaning everything in sight, I imagine he and/or his wife must have some health issues.  I'm almost 80 and haven't been shielding particularly and my cleaning is the same as normal  ::) ::)

I've contacted him via email and sometimes his replies are quite pleasing, other times if he disagrees with you they can come across as rather abrupt, but I think emails and other written contact can often be misunderstood, even on here, Rootschatters have had to explain that they didn't mean what the reader thought they meant.  Thank goodness for the emojis on here.  :)

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 17:20 GMT (UK) »
It seems the attitude of the LostCousins staff has not improved over the years - arrogance and rudeness abound. They really need some lessons in customer service!

You speak as if it's a large organisation with lots of employees?

It's one man, so far as I know, and it appears he does what he does for the love of family history research and in the spirit of helping people, rather than making loads of money.

I'm sorry if you've been upset by him, but I would only comment that my experience has been excellent with Lost Cousins and his newsletter is always interesting, helpful and engaging.

Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline bones5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 16:25 BST (UK) »
I was impressed with lost cousins at first but I have seen it's decline, unfortunately. At first I thought that when I read about current subjects written about, such as covid, that it was me, and that I was being somewhat sensitive to how it came across. But it does come across as preaching and it you don't agree then you are reckless and stupid.

Recently, there were some very hard words concerning the story of the poor youngster A***** B********e. Disparaging assumptions and judgements were made that were shocking and upsetting to read, with no thought at all of the family. Further information of the family had been researched and included, which is totally inappropriate. The owner of the site is entitled to his opinion, but in this instance it went too far and should not have been subject of a family history newsletter. One premise that we abide by when asking for help is to NOT post living peoples names.  This family is not his family. I found it wholly unsuitable material for discussing about in a newsletter.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 16:56 BST (UK) »
I'm not saying your concerns about the newsletter item were unjustified - far from it - but might it be a good idea to raise them on the Lost Cousins forum or with the site owner directly?
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline bones5

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Tuesday 30 August 22 17:39 BST (UK) »
I did consider doing so. From experience,  the attitude that comes across when he's discussing members private messages and his response to them, written about in the newsletters is something that makes uncomfortable reading. I am considering this. It is likely that any message posted would be struck off as it would go against his views....or at least disparaged completely.