Author Topic: George Hussey Will Decipher  (Read 677 times)

Offline Ben Nicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
George Hussey Will Decipher
« on: Friday 22 January 16 02:15 GMT (UK) »
Pleases and thank yous. It defeated me.
Nicholson, Frampton, Leggett, Welke. Taylor, Riseborough, Edwards, Miles. Cahalan, Larkin, McGure, Wyman. Potter, Hussey, Clendinnen, Ellis.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: George Hussey Will Decipher
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 16 13:58 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I'll make a start and perhaps others can add bits and finish it of.

This is the Last Will and Testament of me George
Edwards Hussey of Kingston in the county of Dorset gentleman whereas by the settlement
on the marriage of my late wife bearing date on or about the tenth day of July or thereabouts
thousand seven hundred eight four sundry messages or tenements lands goods ----
premises with their appointments situated in Wimborne Minster in the said County of
Dorset were by use assigned --- or otherwise legally aforesaid unto two Trustees therein
named their Executors,administrators and assigns for all  my estate term and interest in
therein respectively upon trust effective decease of me and my wife for all and every or
--- one or more of the children if there should happen to be more than one of me on the body
of Mary Ann my late wife to be begotten and ins such --- and four parts shares
and proportions with or without power of ---- as the survivor of me and my wife
should by any deed or willing deeds or writings or by my or her Last will and Testament in
writing such deeds or wills to be by me or her duly executed in the presence of two or more
reliable Witnesses --- ---- or appoint give or direct the same  now I do by virtue of their
power and authority to me received and given in the said settlement having survived my
wife and all other power and powers anywise enabling me thereto do by this my last
Will and Testament in writing by me duly signed sealed published and declared in therein
presence of the previous whose names are remainder?  written as witnesses thereto direct
limit and appoint give and devise all and every the Messages Tenements lands
Herediments and premises contained in the said Marriage Settlement with their
apparels whereof or wherein I have any disposing power unto six of  my children namely
to Mary Ann two parts in seven,Thomas George Edward Eliza Richard and Charles
--- ---- one seventh part each --- the seven parts and to their several
to their several heirs Executors Administrators and assigns as tenants in common and
not as joint tenants save and except my share of a leasehold living and ---the
effects--- same to me on the death of my daughter Sarah which i give unto
my said daughter Mary Ann her executors administrators and assigns and
lastly I do hereby appoint Robert Page of Wimborne minister aforesaid land surveyor
sole Executor of this my last will and Testament hereby revoking all former and other
by me at any time hereto made and do declare this only to be my Last Will
and Testament published whereof I the said George Edward Hussey the Testator have
hereto set my hand and seal this twenty seventh day of May in the year of our
Lord one thousand eight hundred and twenty five

witnesses Jane Souy? Elizabeth Haywood H Rowden.
Granted 7.7.1826 to Robert Page

Hope that helps
Ciderdrinker

Offline Ben Nicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 22 January 16 14:00 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much! This is incredibly helpful. I am lifting a cider in your honour! Cheers!
Nicholson, Frampton, Leggett, Welke. Taylor, Riseborough, Edwards, Miles. Cahalan, Larkin, McGure, Wyman. Potter, Hussey, Clendinnen, Ellis.

Offline Ben Nicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 22 January 16 14:19 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know what any of this actually means? lol

Offline ecksdochter

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 22 January 16 15:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
     Had a look soon after you posted but didn't get very far into the 2nd page! I did match 'ciderdrinker' though for the few lines at the bottom of the 1st page, except for the very last word. I think the last word on the bottom line is 'one' (not or) with the word 'thousand' (not thereabouts) written underneath just to let readers know the next page starts with the word 'thousand'. So the sentence reads: "bearing date on or about the tenth day of July one thousand seven hundred and eighty four" (10th July 1784)
     Cheers 'ciderdrinker' and Ben.
               Regards,     Dod.

"Scotsman! I am not a Scotsman -- I am a Fifer."

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 22 January 16 16:41 GMT (UK) »
A few more suggestions for the gaps ...

... sundry messuages or Tenements lands hereditaments and premises with their appurtenances ...
... were by me assigned conveyed or otherwise legally assured ...
... upon trust after the decease ...
... such one or more of the Children ...
... and in such manner and form ...
... with or without power of revocation ...
... by any deed or writing deeds or writings ...
... direct limit or appoint give or devise the same(,) now I do by virtue of the power and authority to me resolved and given ...
... whose names are hereunder written ... 
... the messuages or Tenements lands hereditaments and premises contained in the said marriage settlement with their appurt(enance)s ...

(some lines were omitted above) ... and Charles
Gigget Hussey one seventh part each making the seven parts and to their several
executors administrators and assigns as tenants in common and not as joint tenants and
as to all the rest residue and remainder of my estate and effects whatsoever and where
soever and of what nature or kind soever after payment of my just debts funeral and
testamentary expences I give devise and bequeath unto my seven Children Mary
Ann Thomas George Edward Eliza Richard James and Charles Gigget Hussey and
to their several heirs ...

... my share of a leasehold living and other the effects which came to me ...
... all former and other Wills by me at any time heretofore made and do declare this only to be my last Will and Testament In Witness whereof ...
... Jane Sory(?)  Elizabeth Hayward ...

Proved at London 7th July 1826 before the Judge by the oath of Robert Page
the sole Ex(ecut)or to whom adm(inistrati)on was granted having been first sworn by Com(missi)on duly to adm(iniste)r

(in the margin)
On the 4th Sep(tembe)r 1827 Ad(ministration) with the Will annexed of the Goods Chattels and Credits of George Edward Hussey late of Kingston in the County of Dorset deceased left unadministered by Robert Page deceased (whilst living the sole Executor named in the said Will) was granted to Mary Ann Hussey Spinster the Daughter and one of the Residuary Legatees named in the said Will having been first sworn duly to administer the said Robert Page died Intestate

Does anyone know what any of this actually means? lol

After his debts and expenses are paid, and in accordance with the terms of his marriage settlement of 1784, his estate is to be divided into 7 parts and split between his 6 children, Mary Ann (2 sevenths) and the other five children named (1 seventh each). The effects of his deceased daughter Sarah are to go to his other daughter Mary Ann.

The executor, Robert Page, was granted probate in 1826 but died before administering the estate, so in 1827 a grant of administration was made to the daughter Mary Ann Hussey to complete it.

For any unfamiliar terms, there's a useful Glossary here ...
https://www.nottingham.ac.uk/manuscriptsandspecialcollections/researchguidance/deedsindepth/glossary.aspx

Offline Ben Nicholson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 23 January 16 01:41 GMT (UK) »
THANK YOU SO MUCH