Author Topic: Avery Wood.  (Read 2119 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Avery Wood.
« Reply #9 on: Friday 29 January 16 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Sorry Steve, my brain is still waking up. It's very early here.
For Thomas to name Avery Wood as a brother-in-law there has to be a family connection. Have you viewed the actual Great Missenden PR's?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I'll thank you all now, in case I forget.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 30 January 16 20:45 GMT (UK) »
Yes, the BucksFHS transcripts CD for Great Missenden, but not the originals.

There is an Avery Wood burial in 1739 in Great Missenden, but no age given.  No baptisms or marriages that early either.

BUT, there is an interesting Great Missenden burial, that may throw some light...............

13 Sept. 1721. Hannah WOOD, wife of Avery, of the parish of St James, Westminster, affidavit made.

There is a marriage in 1720, Avarie Wood to Hannah Cootes, @ St. James, Westminster, Middlesex.

No Hannah Cootes born in Great Missenden, but there is a baptism for Hannah COATES in 1697, to Christopher & Sarah COATES.

I'm going around in circles, so I think I'll have a search done for Avery Wood baptisms in Bucks.  I know there is one in Ellesborough, in 1695, Avery Wood, son of Avery & Elizabeth Wood, but that does not tie in with any of the Avery Wood marriages(in Bucks).

Oh well, onwards and backwards.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.
Graham, Pimlott, Burgess from Cheshire and Lancashire area.
Acknowledgemets to http://www.bucksfhs.org.uk/  and  http://www.ofhs.org.uk/

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 30 January 16 21:09 GMT (UK) »
There's an Avery Wood on the 1722 electoral register/poll book (not sure what the correct term is at that time) listed in Wendover, Buckinghamshire  but with Chesham next to his name

the Avarie in London I think remarries in May 1723 at St benet paul's Wharf to a Sarah Whetney. He is a widower of St Margaret Westminster, she is frmo great Missenden

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 30 January 16 21:18 GMT (UK) »
There's also one on 1813 - abode is Aston Clinton  - and one in 1830 under great Missenden, residence Lee

The Avery who marries Sarah dies in 1739 - his will is on Ancestry. All left to Sarah (including property in London and Great Missenden) , but if it helps he mentions  brothers John, James and Joseph and sisters Elizabeth (wife of John WIlkins), Ann and Sarah

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 30 January 16 21:27 GMT (UK) »
There's another possible Avery - this chap's father, who appears to outlive him as Avery snr's will  is proved in 1849. Abode Chesham he mentions sons John and Joseph and daughters Elizabeth Wilkins, Ann Montague and Sarah Bates

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 30 January 16 23:41 GMT (UK) »
Baptism @ Great Missenden.

13 Aug 1704. Sarah, daughter of Francis & Sarah WITNEY.

Burial - 29 Sep 1758. Sarah WOOD, widow.

Steve. :)
Ives, Stevens, Allen, Smith, King, Wooster, Elwood from Monks and Princes Risborough, Aylesbury, Wendover, Great Missenden, Bledlow, Horsenden, Saunderton, West Wycombe, High Wycombe, Lacey Green, Longwick, Illmer,  Hughenden, Prestwood, The Kimbles, Haslemere, Bradenham, Aston Clinton and more......!!  Plus a whole host of Oxfordshire areas.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 30 January 16 23:43 GMT (UK) »
Reading through the information found by Mabel Bagshawe, I would think this looks like your man. You just have to find a connection now.
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline bucksboy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 31 January 16 01:18 GMT (UK) »
Wendover baptisms. 

28 Nov 1670, Sara, daughter of Avery & Sarah WOOD.
11 Jul 1730,  Avery, child of John & Jane WOOD, Labourer.

No marriage links in Wendover PR's, for Wood to Ives.

The Lee, Pr's.

Burial - 4 Aug 1835.  Avary WOOD, aged 66 of Gt Missenden parish. 
He is too old to be connected, being born c1769, with the Will of Thomas Ives in 1738.

No connections @ The Lee.

There must be a connection somewhere, but I have checked my Ives Pr's for the whole of Bucks, from the 1500's to the early 1900's.   No Wood to Ives marriages, not a sniff of one.

I've also checked the Oxfordshire marriage index, and nothing in Oxfordshire, only because Thomas Ives had property there.

Maybe the connection is in London, as it's mentioned. ???

This is getting to be a Wood wall, never mind a brickwall. ;D

Thanks for all the input so far, it's very much appreciated. :)