Author Topic: Mur[e]cock [Moorecock]  (Read 2164 times)

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Mur[e]cock [Moorecock]
« on: Friday 22 January 16 23:47 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone have any info on Murcocks (or Moorecocks) in Wanborough during the 1640s.

Matt

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Mur[e]cock [Moorecock]
« Reply #1 on: Friday 22 January 16 23:54 GMT (UK) »
What is it that you are looking for? What data do you already have, to save people's time?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 January 16 00:50 GMT (UK) »
What is it that you are looking for? What data do you already have, to save people's time?

I am trying to identify a Joan Moorcock (or Murecocke) who was married in the 1670s (if I remember right) but I don't have all my dates and details to hand just now. I will post another follow up message tomorrow.

Matt

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 January 16 04:43 GMT (UK) »
Is this her?

Joane MORCOCK Marriage 27 May 1680, Wanborough, Wiltshire
Spouse Henry DORE
(Source Familysearch.Org)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 January 16 05:37 GMT (UK) »
Or the Joane Morcoke who married Henry Illes in 1665 in Wanborough (no further info on the date). Familysearch.org
Familysearch throws up 432 results for Moorcock in Wanborough (baptisms, marriages, burials).

Edit: make that 173 results; there are some census records after the Wanborough records.  :)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 January 16 05:44 GMT (UK) »
There are two possible Joane/Jane Moorcock baptisms, one in 1632, the other in 1642. Bear in mind that the 1680 marriage may be a Joane Moorcock who was born in the 1650's, when some parishes did not record events, during the Cromwell Protectorate.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 24 January 16 00:21 GMT (UK) »
Mine is the Joan who married Henry Ills in Wanborough in 1665. I have so far identified 3 possible candidates for her but working out which is her is proving problematic.

Firstly there is a Joan Murcock born in 1618 (daughter of Thomas)
Secondly there is a Joane Murcocke born in 1621 (daughter of Robert)
Thirdly there is a Joane Murcock born in 1632 (daughter of Thomas) however she appears to have died as there is a burial of Joan Murcocke daughter of Thomas in 1637.

Henry and Joan had the following children:

Henry 1667
William 1668
Ann 1670
Mary 1677
Ruth 1687

If it is the Joan born 1621 who married Henry then she would have been about 66 when Ruth was born, something I find unlikely. If my Joan is the one born in 1618 she would have been even older.

Henry was born in 1641 (son of Thomas Ills) and so I suspect Joan was also born around the 1640s

My ancestor was their son Henry, however I have today found a baptism of a second Henry in 1680. I don't know if it is the same family as no father is named and I've not found a burial for the Henry born in 1667. If Henry and Joan did have a second son named Henry then this causes me a temporary problem as my Henry was married in 1691.

Very puzzling.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 24 January 16 03:24 GMT (UK) »
That burial could be of the father, Henry.
This could be your Joan. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NDYY-XVX
I have seen Joan and Jane interchanged in that era before.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 24 January 16 17:59 GMT (UK) »
That burial could be of the father, Henry.
This could be your Joan. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NDYY-XVX
I have seen Joan and Jane interchanged in that era before.

Thanks. I don't know why I didn't see this Joan/Jane before as I have also seen the names interchanged. Perhaps I just didn't think to look for the variation. So thanks again.

Which burial do you think is for Henry snr?

Matt