Author Topic: Mur[e]cock [Moorecock]  (Read 2135 times)

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
Re: Mur[e]cock [Moorecock]
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 24 January 16 20:41 GMT (UK) »
Which burial do you think is for Henry snr?

Matt

My mistake. I had misread your post. Probably didn't have my reading glasses on.  :-[
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline pinefamily

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Big sister with baby brother
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 24 January 16 20:55 GMT (UK) »
I am having trouble finding any Illes burials anywhere in Wiltshire. Did the family move, or stay in Wanborough?
I am Australian, from all the lands I come (my ancestors, at least!)

Pine/Pyne, Dowdeswell, Kempster, Sando/Sandoe/Sandow, Nancarrow, Hounslow, Youatt, Richardson, Jarmyn, Oxlade, Coad, Kelsey, Crampton, Lindner, Pittaway, and too many others to name.
Devon, Dorset, Gloucs, Cornwall, Warwickshire, Bucks, Oxfordshire, Wilts, Germany, Sweden, and of course London, to name a few.

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 01 March 18 21:54 GMT (UK) »
After a year of not much progress with this line I've now managed to finally get somewhere.

I've recently discovered the 1671 Will of Anne Morcocke of Wanborough. Although Joane/Jane isn't mentioned this Anne is certainly her mother as she mentions her son in law Henry Iles (who she makes her executor) as well as her grandchildren Henry Iles, William Iles, and Anne Iles. This fits exactly with what I already know.

Unfortunately Anne is described as a widow in the Will so I still don't know who her husband was, however she does mention a number of other key people including her sons Thomas Morcocke and William Morcocke, as well as her brother William Reade.

This has given me quite a few new leads and I'm now able to make progress with these now.

Matt

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi MattD30,

If, as you say, Anne Morcocke is the mother, then this marriage in Wanboro' might tie it all up;
21-6-1641 Thomas Murcocke - m - Anne Cowles, botp

also 10-2-1664/5 Henry Illes - m - Joanne Morcoke, botp.

However, mentioning her brother as William Reade, there are these entries all Wanboro';

31-1-1617/8 William Reade s/o William, jnr
30-9-1635        "            "       "        "
31-3-1622    Anne         "     d/o       "

I hope this isn't confusing the issue.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 07 March 18 13:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi MattD30,

If, as you say, Anne Morcocke is the mother, then this marriage in Wanboro' might tie it all up;
21-6-1641 Thomas Murcocke - m - Anne Cowles, botp

also 10-2-1664/5 Henry Illes - m - Joanne Morcoke, botp.

However, mentioning her brother as William Reade, there are these entries all Wanboro';

31-1-1617/8 William Reade s/o William, jnr
30-9-1635        "            "       "        "
31-3-1622    Anne         "     d/o       "

I hope this isn't confusing the issue.

Alan

Hi Alan

Thanks for those bits of info, I will follow those up this afternoon.

I've looked at a number of other Murcocke Wills and also Read [or Reade] Wills  from the same period and they also seem to either mention the same people, or be witnessed by the same person.

Anne mentioned her 'good friend Henry Philips" and he appears as a witness on her Will and several other Wills. I've compared the signatures and they are almost identical leading me to believe they could be by the same person.

There are several Read/Reade Wills which I have looked at but none mention Anne so far, however it could be that when she says "my brother" she means "brother in law". Alternatively if she was Anne Cowles was a widow when she married Thomas Murcocke then Reade could be her maiden name [I have another ancestor in Sussex who was married three times which made it hard to trace her burial as her name kept changing].

I have a number  of Murcock Wills to go through as well.

The 1664/5 marriage of Henry Illes and Joanne Morcocke in Wanborough certainly fits in with what I have. I have this marriage in my files but for some reason I didn't have the full date on the tree I am working from.

The Reades that you mentioned look promising as well and I will follow these up. As I mentioned before I have looked at a number of Reade Wills (some from the PCC and some from the Wiltshire archives) and I'm pretty sure they are connected. Unfortunately last night my laptop decided to wipe all the Wills and info I had save to my USB stick - including all the Wills! Thankfully I have a note of all the references and I have already printed some out so I can download them again.

Many thanks again and I will follow all this up today. I'm pretty sure there must be some connection.

Matt

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 08 March 18 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi

The following extracts are from the Will of Anne Murcock [1671] which show the links to the Iles and Reade families.

The first extract mentions her son in law Henry Iles and the second extract mentions two key people - her 'beloved friend Henry Phillips' and also 'William Reade the elder' who is described as "my brother".

I am just wondering if this name is Reade or perhaps Roade or something else.

The Reade christenings found by ribbo39 would seem to fit with what I have already. The Anne Reade (chr 1622) would be about the right age to be my Anne, and the William who was christened in 1617/18 would be the right age to be the older brother she mentions in her Will.

The witnesses to this Will, Henry Phillips and Margery Chamberlayne also provide some useful clues but I'll go into those in a second post.

Anyhow it would be great if someone could confirm William's surname in the second extract posted here.

Many thanks

Matt

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 08 March 18 21:56 GMT (UK) »
Hello Matt,

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest posting the full doc.  on the deciphering board and enlisting help there.
I have had considerable success there with some of my "olde english writinges"

To me the name certainly looks like Reade.

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:17 GMT (UK) »
I would agree with Alan, his surname is Reade rather than Roade.  On the other examples of "o" the letter isn't joined to the next letter but the "e"s are.  Its typical of an "e" for that period.

As to Murcock, you probably already know that Mulcock and Murcot are often inter-used with it.  I've a sideline in Highworth from Little Coxwell.  In the Faringdon records they appear as Murcot and Morcock but subsequently as Mulcock in the Highworth registers and the Wills associated with the family.
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline MattD30

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 08 March 18 22:43 GMT (UK) »
Hello Matt,

If you haven't already done so, I would suggest posting the full doc.  on the deciphering board and enlisting help there.
I have had considerable success there with some of my "olde english writinges"

To me the name certainly looks like Reade.

Alan

Hi Alan

I did think of posting the whole thing but I think the file size is too big for Rootchat and thankfully I can read it as it is fairly clear except in a few minor places.

Another interesting thing here is that Anne mentions an Anne Chamberlayne in the last part of the Will as well as her Iles grandchildren [see attached image], and the Will was witnessed by Margery Chamberlayne and Henry Phillips. Margery Chamberlayne is almost certainly the Margery Murcocke who married Henry Chamberlayne in 1642, and she had a sister named Margaret Murcocke who married Thomas Phillips in 1643. Thomas himself had a brother who was named - Henry Phillips! This Margery Chamberlayne and Henry Phillips would therefore be related to Anne.

Also I've looked at a number of other Reade family Wills and Henry Phillips appears on them as a witness as well.

These people are obviously related.

Matt