Author Topic: Marriage between George Burden and Maria? Is this them??  (Read 701 times)

Offline LMFAO

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Marriage between George Burden and Maria? Is this them??
« on: Saturday 23 January 16 16:37 GMT (UK) »
I have been searching for a marriage between 3x grandparents George Burden born c.1791-1870 Wargate(Wareham) and Maria born c. 1793-1876 Wargate (Wareham). They are to be found living in Wareham on all census. Their children were either baptised in East Stoke ( the first being John in 1818) or later children in Wareham.
Not finding anything in Dorset ( I have been in touch with the Opc for East Stoke who checked marriages there for me, nothing found)
I found a marriage on the IGI in Hampshire. On the 6/5/1811 at St Marys Portsea between George Burden and Maria Orchard.
A Maria Orchard was baptised in Wareham 14/8/1791 Lady St Mary. I cannot find a record of her marrying anyone else or dying unmarried. Also I cannot find any other children born between 1811-1818 in Hampshire or Dorset.
So the question is does anyone think that it is feasible that this is the correct marriage or is it just wishful thinking on my part?
Many thanks in advance for your thoughts on this.

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage between George Burden and Maria? Is this them??
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 January 16 18:20 GMT (UK) »
What's concerning me is that their eldest child per census is a William - from the census he seems to get younger as time passes!   

In 1841 shown as 25 (bc.1816)
In 1851 32 (bc.1819)
In 1861 40 (bc.1821).

Wareham baptisms show:

George Burden bp.25/12/1811, son of George and Ann
William Burden bp.24/7/1814, son          ditto
Sarah Burden bp.6/10/1816   dau.          ditto

Is William the one baptised 1814?
If so, was George previously married to an Ann?
Or, as the timeframe matches the George Burden/Maria Orchard marriage is 'Ann' actually Maria??  (I cannot find a marriage for a George to an Ann, nor children born before/after the 3 above) ?

I personally feel that 'Ann' is Maria and that you have indeed found the right marriage.

Annette   
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LMFAO

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage between George Burden and Maria? Is this them??
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 January 16 10:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi Annette
Many thanks for your reply.
I have been checking over your information and it does all seem to fit. George and Maria did have another daughter Sarah 1823/24 but it looks like the Sarah born 1816 was buried  on 22nd November 1818 in East Stoke (aged 2)which is the time they were living there. Like you I cannot find a marriage for a George and Ann nor find any deaths or census with them on. Also working in that time frame it does all fit rather nicely!!!!
Many Thanks once again