Author Topic: Upperby, Cumberland  (Read 1651 times)

Offline vlhg

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Upperby, Cumberland
« on: Saturday 23 January 16 17:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to locate the grave of my ancestor Richard Roscow who died on 10 April 1865 and was buried in Upperby, Cumberland on 12th April according to FamilySearch.  However I have a copy of an entry of death that says he died in Caldewgate in the sub district of Saint Marys, Carlisle.  He was 47 and in 1861 lived at Railway Cottages, Botchergate, Carlisle.  I have been in touch with Cumbria C.C. but they have no record of his burial.  Can anyone help please?

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Upperby, Cumberland
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 23 January 16 17:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

He was buried at St John the Baptist Upperby
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 23 January 16 17:41 GMT (UK) »
According to a newspaper report he died on the 10th April at the Royal Oak Inn, Caldewgate, age 47 and Find My Past has a burial record (transcribed) for the 12th of April at Upperby, age 47.

The records for St John's, Upperby, Parish of St Cuthberts are available at Carlisle archives (catalogue reference PR/76)

Offline vlhg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 23 January 16 18:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi CaroleW

However did you manage to find the information so quick, I have been searching for months.

Your advice would be appreciated as to how to find the plot number of the grave so I can visit, or is it just a case of looking through the graveyard?  I don't live locally but am planning to visit in summer.  Your advice would be most welcome, and thanks so much.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 23 January 16 18:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi

You would either have to contact the church to see if any headstone exists or if they can identify the grave for you from their records

See also reply above
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline vlhg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 23 January 16 19:20 GMT (UK) »
I have just logged on to Find My Past as they are doing a free weekend as luck would have it.  I have read the death notice in the Carlisle Journal 14 April 1865, so many thanks for that, very much appreciated.

I will contact the vicar at St. Johns to see if he can locate the grave.

Thanks for everyones help.

Offline PeteRae

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 12 May 17 15:13 BST (UK) »
If you are still searching for the grave you could ask at the Carlisle Bereavement Services office at the Crematorium on Dalston Road. They may be able to help if they're not too busy.
Rae , Johnstone , Irving , Aitchison all in D&G....Drysdale and  Stobie in Kinross shire.  Grindley in Cumberland.