Author Topic: 75th Regiment of Bristol - 1832/Haley  (Read 1357 times)

Offline Mac11767

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
75th Regiment of Bristol - 1832/Haley
« on: Sunday 24 January 16 05:12 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for information on a Michel Haley.  I have reference for him in a letter written by his wife Mary Haley (likely Mary Ward) in 1932.  He was stationed in South Africa (likely in the Cape) with the 75th Regiment of Bristol.  Does anyone have any information on this regiment, and its members?  It appears that Sir Harry Smith may have been part of them.  Would there be any sort of record of enrollment somewhere and what duties/wars they were part of?

I of course would like to find information on the origins of Michel Haley (he is likely to have been Irish and born 1801 possibly in Tipperary)

http://www.eggsa.org/1820-settlers/index.php/post-1820-letters/h-writers-surnamed-h/1824-haley-mary-wife-of-michel-haley-1832

Thanks

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 75th Regiment of Bristol - 1832/Haley
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 January 16 06:58 GMT (UK) »
The 75th Regiment of Foot served during the Kaffir Wars, and there was a British Military presence in the Cape from 1811 onwards.

More information here:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/75th_%28Stirlingshire%29_Regiment_of_Foot
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline km1971

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 January 16 09:18 GMT (UK) »
That letter is a nice find. If anything the 75th were actually the Sterlingshire Regiment before 1881. Although these geographical names were virtually meaningless as they had no permanent Depot until 1873. The 'of Bristol' probably refers to where the Depot was at the time, while the service companies were in the Cape.

They served in Ireland from July 1824 until April 1830 when they moved to Canterbury before sailing for the Cape a month later.

If Mary was left behind she was not 'on the strength'. Either they married without permission, or they drew lots for a small number of places for Private's wives when they sailed, and she missed out. If she ended up in the Cape it will be because a vacancy occurred or he was promoted to Corporal which meant a better chance of a wife being accepted.

I cannot find his record on Findmypast which suggests he was not awarded a pension. If you can get to Kew you can use the musters to follow his career as well as telling you where he was each month. You can then look for church records for the places he served. The first and last muster entries give a good chance of discovering his place of birth and age on enlistment. Given the letter you should also look for a section listing remittances to his family.

Access to Findmypast is free today and tomorrow - http://www.findmypast.co.uk/freeweekend

Ken

Offline Mac11767

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 24 January 16 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ken

Now it makes sense how a) An irishman ended up in an English regiment and b) then ended up in the Cape. 

He likely left the army and settled in the Cape of Good Hope and had a few more children.  As you said, no pension likely meant a discharge or he voluntarily left.  As I am in the US, a visit to Kew will likely have to wait a little.

With thanks
Steven

Offline JCee

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 February 16 13:35 GMT (UK) »
The 75th amalgamated with the 92nd on 30 June 1881 and became The Gordon Highlanders. The Regimental Museum is in Aberdeen. Google Gordon Highlanders where there is more info.

Jim.

Offline Mac11767

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 February 16 17:45 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Jim.  I will certainly have a look.
Regards
Steven

Offline HALEY SA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 11 June 17 00:52 BST (UK) »
Good day

My name is Aubrey Haley and I am from South Africa. I believe Michal Haley (1801 - 5 Jul 1851) and Mary Ward (1804 - 6 Jan 1858) to be my Great Grandparent's Grandparents. Michal Haley died in Port Elizabeth, Cape. I'm not certain if his name was Michal or Michael.
According to the Death Notice for Michael Haley (DN 4856.1/2.1851.) his children were:
Michael, major
Elizabeth, major
James, minor
John, minor
and William, minor (which I believe to be William James Haley 1844 - 1892 my Great Grandfather's Father).
The names of the children also correspond with Mary Ward's Death Notice (DN 4856-1858).

The oldest information I have on my family is a photo taken in 1892 just after the burial of William James Haley (24 Aug 1844 - 30 Sep 1892) in Rouxville, Free State.
On the photo is William James Haley's wife:
Magdalena Elizabeth Haley (11 Mar 1861 - 18 Jan 1924),
and their 6 children:
John Michael Haley (Captured by Brittish troops at Fouriesburg, South Africa during the Anglo-Boer War on 30 July 1900, died 03 Oct 1901 as a Prisoner of War at Diyatalawa, Ceylon no:8121, now Sri-Lanka),
Mary Johanna Haley,
William James Haley,
Carolina Martha Haley,
Peter Andrew Haley (my Great Grandfather)
and an unknown child (cant seem to find any records).

I would really much like to get more information about Michal Haley and Mary Ward and where they came from to trace further my family roots.

I contacted the Albany Museum in Grahamstown near Port Elizabeth, and the lady working there send me the Death Notice of Mary Ward. I still have to visit them personally to get more information.

Offline Mac11767

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 12 June 17 01:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Aubrey
I have not progressed further back yet that Michael Hale and Mary Ward.  Your missing relative's name is Sewerus Haley (b1884 d 1905).  I have done quit a lot of research, but still have gaps.
Best
Steven

Offline HALEY SA

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 June 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
Hi Steven

Thanks for the info on the missing family member. I saw the name Severus at the back of the photo I have, but was not sure because there is no memory of him in the family that I know about.

I contacted the Albany Museum in Grahamstown and the lady there send me a copy of Mary Ward's Death Notice. Do you maybe have info of her children and what happened to them?

I also see you mentioned that you believe Michal Haley to be from Tipperary, Ireland. Do you maybe have any documents or references of him you can send me.

I see you want to find out more about Roderick Barker. I may be of help to you since I live in Bloemfontein, not so far from Kimberley and Barkley West. The Women's Memorial is also here in Bloemfontein and it is also a good place to search for events and names in the Anglo Boer War. I can also assist you with photos of graves when I sometimes pass Kimberley or Barkley West.