Author Topic: One census entry - four generations  (Read 675 times)

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
One census entry - four generations
« on: Sunday 24 January 16 17:57 GMT (UK) »
1851 census. 28 Temple Street, Bethnal Green. HO107 Piece 1539 Folio 733 page 7. Head of household is 63 year old Lydia Wright (my great x4 grandmother). Also present are:

Lydia's mother-in-law, 84 year old Mary Wright (my great x5 grandmother)
Lydia's daughter-in-law, 40 year old Sarah Wright
Lydia's grandson, 8 year old Henry Wright

(Mary and Sarah are said to be lodgers in the census entry, and the relationships are not disclosed; but my researches have proved them.)

That's four generations of the same family all present on the same census entry (best viewed from young Henry's perspective: he was living with his mum, grandma and great grandma!). I'm sure this isn't a unique occurrence, but it must be pretty rare.

Have any other Rootschatters found similar family groupings?

Can anyone manage 5 generations? Or is 4 the limit?
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline IgorStrav

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Arthur Pay 1915-2002 "handsome bu**er"
    • View Profile
Re: One census entry - four generations
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Great find, jbml, bet you were pleased with that lot!

I will have a look through my censuses to see if I can replicate it.
Pay, Kent. 
Barham, Kent. 
Cork(e), Kent. 
Cooley, Kent.
Barwell, Rutland/Northants/Greenwich.
Cotterill, Derbys.
Van Steenhoven/Steenhoven/Hoven, Nord Brabant/Belgium/East London.
Kesneer Belgium/East London
Burton, East London.
Barlow, East London
Wayling, East London
Wade, Greenwich/Brightlingsea, Essex.
Thorpe, Brightlingsea, Essex

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 19:03 GMT (UK) »
That's a great find 4 generations on the same census.

My maximum is 3 generations.

I do have a family photo taken in the early 1950's of 5 generations but I suppose that will not count even if it did appear in the local newspaper.

Dorrie
Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline venelow

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 20:29 GMT (UK) »

I found a little treasure trove of information on the 1881 Census in my first year of researching.

George Crossley (my 3 X Great Grandfather) appears on the 1881 Census in East Hardwick,Yorks where he is listed as a sub postmaster.

Two of his sons, Edwin and George R. are still at home enabling the family to be identified on the IGI Parish Register Index for Pontefract.

In addition to George's wife Elizabeth, her mother Mary Atkinson b. 1795 lives with them as well as married daughter Annie Molden and her husband Charles and their six month old son William G.

Also in the household are Annie E Crossley aged 2 and Ada Crossley aged 9. They were also George's grandchildren.

I probably have a couple of other instances but this one I recall because it was the first time I had lucked out with four generations in the census.

Venelow

Offline Andrew Tarr

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Wanted: Charles Percy Liversidge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 20:55 GMT (UK) »
1851 census. 28 Temple Street, Bethnal Green. HO107 Piece 1539 Folio 733 page 7. Head of household is 63 year old Lydia Wright (my great x4 grandmother). Also present are:

Lydia's mother-in-law, 84 year old Mary Wright (my great x5 grandmother)
Lydia's daughter-in-law, 40 year old Sarah Wright
Lydia's grandson, 8 year old Henry Wright

(Mary and Sarah are said to be lodgers in the census entry, and the relationships are not disclosed; but my researches have proved them.)

That's four generations of the same family all present on the same census entry (best viewed from young Henry's perspective: he was living with his mum, grandma and great grandma!). I'm sure this isn't a unique occurrence, but it must be pretty rare.

Have any other Rootschatters found similar family groupings?

Can anyone manage 5 generations? Or is 4 the limit?
I have a 'photo' taken in 1865 showing 4 generations, but they didn't all occupy the same house.  The old bird in the background was born about 1782.

I remember a TV news item a few years ago which showed 6 generations all present - all female - the oldest about 90-100 of course.
Tarr, Tydeman, Liversidge, Bartlett, Young

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 28 January 16 11:13 GMT (UK) »
That's a great find 4 generations on the same census.

That's what I thought, too.

I do in fact have a second example, in 1881. Perry, Huntingdonshire, RG11 Piece 1612 Folio 95 page 11

Head: 66 year old John Ekins
Wife: 63 year old Frances Ekins (nee Hardwick, but spelled "Harding" on her first mariage to William Mauldin; widowed in 1837 and married John Ekins in 1838) - my great x4 aunt

Son: 27 year old Henry Ekins
Daughter: 23 year old  Mary A Ekins (Mary Ann, born 1857)

Grandson: 1 year old Francis Ekins

Mother-in-Law: 93 year old Elizabeth Hardwick - my great x4 grandmother.

So, again, viewed though the eyes of young Francis, if he did but know it he was living with his father, aunt, grandmother, grandfather and great grandmother!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright