Author Topic: Joseph Theodore BURDEAU - Steamboat Captain, New Orleans, St. Louis  (Read 977 times)

Offline daniel3140

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Joseph Theodore BURDEAU - Steamboat Captain, New Orleans, St. Louis
« on: Sunday 24 January 16 18:32 GMT (UK) »
Trying to find more information on the parents of Joseph Theodore BURDEAU.

Born: 29 Jul 1817 in New Orleans
Died: 14 Mar 1881
Married twice

He was steamboat captain on the Ohio and Mississippi rivers. Captained the 607 ton side-wheel packet Oceana, built in STL, MO and operated between STL and New Orleans in 1855.

I have found no records of his father, but based on speculative family history, the father was also named Joseph Theodore Burdeau and was potentially immigrated from Martinique.

"There is speculation that one of the brothers of the Burdeau family had earlier migrated from Lyon, France, to the French colony of Martinique. Strong word of mouth tradition in the Burdeau family of New Orleans and St. Louis asserts that the immigrant Burdeau ancestor came to New Orleans from the island of Martinique. Since the steamboat captain was evidently a native of New Orleans, the immigrant must of been his father or an earlier ancestor. There is also some tradition that there was more than one Burdeau brother who left France for Martinique. Mary Burdeau Gray told a story of 3 brothers going to Martinique, two then going on to New Orleans, where one remained while they other went to St. Louis. David Burdeau tells a story of two brothers coming to New Orleans from Martinique and one changing his name to Crawford and moving to Cincinnati, OH. The Steamboat captain's son indicated in one later census that his family origins were Cuba, which means they could have been among the shiploads of French-speaking refugees who were evicted from Cuba around 1809."

Offline Neil Todd

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • "Oportet vivere"
    • View Profile
Re: Joseph Theodore BURDEAU - Steamboat Captain, New Orleans, St. Louis
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 24 January 16 18:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Daniel, you may find this is much better on the USA board, not too many on here are all that familiar with US Records. It can be moved if you so wish..

Neil

ADDED Moderator notified
Grewl,Nickerseens,flombastion,Everheads

Offline daniel3140

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 24 January 16 18:58 GMT (UK) »
That'd be great, if you could move. I'm still learning here! Thanks.

Offline labarbe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 March 16 19:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 My great uncle was David Burdeau. I have traced branches of the family back to the early 18th century. I ran across this posting by accident. I presume you are a Burdeau descendant, if so I am happy to share info with you. I registered thinking I could send a PM, evidently I have to do some postings first.
  You might want to contact me through my nieces eBay site, her user name is the same labarbe.
best,
M

Offline labarbe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 25 March 16 03:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 I wouldn't mind posting info on JT Burdeau, but you might need some preparation.
Best,
M

Offline labarbe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 25 March 16 03:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi
 Maybe now I can send you a PM
best,
M

Offline davidqueneherve

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 29 September 17 12:07 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Can you tell us more ?

In the 1830 census, there is Charles BORDEAUX. There is also Ambroise B..RDEAUX. I can't tell for sure if the second letter is a, o or u.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:33S7-9YB4-JVQ?i=131&cc=1803958

Who are the parents of Joseph Theodore BURDEAU ?

http://www.worldcat.org/title/joseph-theodor-burdeau-descendants-with-allied-gwathmey-moales-and-walker-families/oclc/34991377