Author Topic: What happened to Barbara Hillhouse Frost MacKenzie ?  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Magiccat1978

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What happened to Barbara Hillhouse Frost MacKenzie ?
« on: Monday 25 January 16 06:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello

I'm unsure of where to put this, please feel free to move if you think its better suited else where. I opted for here simply because the last trace I can find is in New York.

I am hoping someone can help me solve this mystery. This is what I have so far :

Barbara Hillhouse Frost MACKENZIE was born c 1900 in Bellshill, Lanarkshire, Scotland to James Hillhouse MacKENZIE and Annie STUART.

On the 25.05.1922 she married John Abbiss MORRIS in Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow, Scotland. Her 1st marriage his 3rd.

They had two children : Vivian Mackenzie MORRIS 1923 and Cyril James MORRIS 1927. Both born in Scotland.

On the 5th of August 1927 the arrived in New York aboard the SS George Washington. This is the last reference to the family all together I can find. I have John A MORRIS and the two children on the 1930 census in Cook County, ILLINOIS but there is no sign of Barbara. John has put his status as married not widowed so I presume she is still alive at this point.

John Abbiss MORRIS married Kathleen BURFORD on the 1st of September 1932 so I can only assume Barbara divorced him or died but I can find no record of either.

I have Vivians Obituary and it lists Katheen BURFORD as her mother not Barbara Hillhouse Frost MacKENZIE

Can anyone solve the mystery of what became of Barbara, I'd really like to know what happened to her.

thanks for reading

Magiccat
Greenock-Williamson,Guthrie,McIlhagga,Morris,McPherson
Lanarkshire-Reid,Bennett/Bennard,Stewart, Miller,Brown,Jamieson,McGregor,Davidson, Paterson,Anderson,Allister,Renwick,Shearer.
Stirling-Guthrie,Coutts.
Montrose-Guthrie,Brown,
Arbroath-Smith,Adam,Garland,Esplin,Davdison, Fender,Moncur
AyrshireRankin,McDickens,Bennard/Bennett,Carrick,Russell.
Ireland-Williamson,Galbraith,McIlhagga,Adrain. Bennard.
Fife-Brown,Williamson
Whitburn-Brown,Smart,Martin
Staffordshire-Abbiss,Oakley,Morris,Southall

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What happened to Barbara Hillhouse Frost MacKenzie ?
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 January 16 11:15 GMT (UK) »
The Chicago city directory from 1928-1929 has John and Barbara listed together at 1228 Diversey Av. and Parkway, the same address that John and family are at in the 1930 census.  http://www.chsmedia.org/househistory/polk/Menus/Main%20Menu.pdf  The directory is alphabetical by street name. 

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 16 11:24 GMT (UK) »
This seems rather unlikely , but there's a Barbara MacKenzie Morris born 18 May 1900 in Bothwell , Lanarkshire, signed on as a Stewardess in June 1938 on the Cameronia.

Also a Barbara Morris b 1900 arriving 14 Jun 1931 Glasgow from New York going to " Marthrown of Malne , Dumfries "  - this will only help if this address means something to you.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 16 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Barbara Mackenzie Morris listed in Merchant Navy Seamen Records - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:KC7K-SPK

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 25 January 16 16:42 GMT (UK) »
If you can get an exact date of birth for her (such as her birth certificate from Scotland's People), it might be revealing if she stayed in the US. 

Also, if you haven't checked Scotland for an additional marriage or her death, that might be worth looking into. 

Offline Magiccat1978

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 22:01 GMT (UK) »
Thankyou both, i knew a fresh pair of eyes would help.

shellyesq - thats a great find with the directory  :) Yes i do have her birth cert and her date of birth 18-05-1900 in Bellshill, Scotland. I have checked Scotlands people for marriages and death entries and have failed to turn up anything.

CB53
- that is the correct date of birth for my Barbara so it seems likely that it is her, I've not come across the address before but will look in to it. It seems to fit the time frame for her vanishing from Illinios.

Wonder what happened to her after 1936 ? will definitely keep looking.

thanks for all your help its very much appreciated 
Magiccat ;)
Lanarkshire-Reid,Bennett/Bennard,Stewart, Miller,Brown,Jamieson,McGregor,Davidson, Paterson,Anderson,Allister,Renwick,Shearer.
Stirling-Guthrie,Coutts.
Montrose-Guthrie,Brown,
Fife-Brown,Williamson

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 23:44 GMT (UK) »
Could this be her death in England?  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVZC-8GRR  The birth date fits.

Offline Magiccat1978

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 27 January 16 07:04 GMT (UK) »
Could this be her death in England?  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:QVZC-8GRR  The birth date fits.

Yes ! ;D

Thats her ! I found this entry -  BARBARA MACKENZIE married JAMES M BOYLE Mar Quarter of 1942 in the Eton district of Buckinghamshire, England. FreeBDM lists the marriage as MacKENZIE or MORRIS.

Also found her on the 1939 register under Barbara BOYLE  with James Boyle in Eton birth date is correct but the year is given as 1904. she is listed as a ships stewardess so I'm as sure as i can be its her.

What a fantastic find, thank you so much. 

At least I now know where she ended up, I hope she found happiness but I do wonder what caused her to leave her 2 young children in America with there father. I'm guessing she never kept in touch as her daughters obituary lists someone else as her mother and her daughter named her first child after this other lady who raised her . Barbaras children were very small when she and their father separated, i wonder if they knew where or who she was. very sad  :(

Off to do some more digging

Thank you again

Magiccat
Stirling-Guthrie,Coutts.
Montrose-Guthrie,Brown,
Fife-Brown,Williamson

Offline twin021954

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 06 July 16 06:03 BST (UK) »
Hello Magiccat1978...Barbara Hillhouse Frost MacKenzie was my actual maternal grandmother.  My mother was Vivian MacKenzie Morris, born 10 Jan 1923.  Her father was John Abbiss Morris, and her brother was Cyril James Morris.  I know a bit of the family history, as my mother was old enough to remember her mother quite well.  Barbara and John were divorced, and she left the area.  I knew she'd worked on a cruise ship, but had no luck with any of them.  I want to thank all the people who've been supplying you with information-I've been trying to find out what happened to my real grandmother for many years now, and I'm glad to be able to see the documents provided.  I'd truly like to know if she had any other children, and perhaps one day meet more distant relatives from the MacKenzie family line.