Author Topic: Brick Row - West Barns  (Read 1404 times)

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Brick Row - West Barns
« on: Monday 25 January 16 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if there was ever a Brick Row in West Barns? My great great grandmother is showing on the 1891 census there as a baby having been born in February 1891. I have a copy of the census record which helpfully says No 24 do (ditto) with the actual address presumably on the previous census page! The Ancestry transcription says it's Brick Row but I can't seem to find a trace of that.
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Brick Row - West Barns
« Reply #1 on: Monday 25 January 16 21:14 GMT (UK) »
portybelle, what does it say regarding address on the birth cert for your gg grandmother?

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 25 January 16 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Scran, pay to view for further details, have with a connected photo: This row of houses on West Barns main street was built in brick from the nearby Seafield Brick and Tile Works. In a district where even the humblest houses were.... www.scran.ac.uk/database/record.php?usi=000-000-471-477-C

Also:

1.14 Any new development in West Barns Conservation Area will be expected to be of no more than two storeys to be of a similar scale to existing buildings. Roofs will normally be pitched and clad in natural slate or clay pantile. Wall finishes will normally be stone or wet dash render. Because of the existence of a West Barns brickworks in the past there are some brick built buildings in the village - if brick is to be used in new development then it should closely match the original West Barns brick. Boundary walls in the village tend to be constructed in stone and new walls should also be stone built.

Struggling to find a link to post from a pdf (part of the address www.eastlothian.gov.uk/.../id/.../conservation_area_character_statements... which doesn't work, but is the source!).

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline portybelle

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 25 January 16 22:32 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Monica, looks likely it did exist then! I don't have her birth record unfortunately, just had noted that she was born in West Barns. And now that I've looked again, it's not my great great grandmother at all, just my great aunt! Too many people with the same name - a familiar genealogical problem!  ::)
East Lothian/Midlothian
Cowe, Cameron, Storie/Storey, Powell,
McCaskell, Kane/Cain, Howden, Duncan

For OH: East Lothian Ayrshire
Baird, Kyle, Reilly, Routledge
Mackie,Wallace, Wood, Dickson, Burrell, Brown, Darling