Author Topic: Dalys of Mungret and Clarina  (Read 1133 times)

Offline gerardine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Dalys of Mungret and Clarina
« on: Tuesday 26 January 16 03:27 GMT (UK) »
I have been researching the Daly family in Mungret and have visited graves in old Mungret Abbey on visit there in 2014.  My get get grandfather was Michael Daly wife Mary Flynn both born in Mungret and emigrated to NZ in late 1870's.  I am looking for descendants of Michaels brother John who had a son Michael who took over family leased land in Dooradoyle.  Also Michaels brother Patrick and sisters Catherine and Ann.  Michaels parents were Michael Daly and Catherine Burns, grandparents Connor Daly and Ann ?  All buried in Daly grave old Mungret Abbey.  If anyone has knowledge of this family re other generational siblings or descendants of Michael, son of John or also knowledge of Margaret Daly a national school teacher in Crecora  around 1924 who was the daughter of Cornelius Daly also brother of Michael Daly and Catherine Burns.
delany/brophy/castletown laois/truman devon/scannell plymouth/mccormack cork, kerry/daly/mungret limerick/lewis/rae

Offline gerardine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Dalys of Mungret and Clarina
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 03:58 GMT (UK) »
I should add that Michael Daly, (son of John and grandson of Michael Daly and Catherine Burns),  married Hellene ?  who is also buried in old Mungret Abbey Daly family plot.
delany/brophy/castletown laois/truman devon/scannell plymouth/mccormack cork, kerry/daly/mungret limerick/lewis/rae

Offline hurworth

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 06:36 GMT (UK) »
Would you have some approximate dates?

Have you found any information from the parish records?

These are family members?
http://historicgraves.com/mungret-abbey-graveyards/li-mngt-0175/grave

http://historicgraves.com/mungret-abbey-graveyards/li-mngt-0176/grave

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 08:16 GMT (UK) »
There's a John Daly with son Michael here in 1911- think daughter 'Chatrine' might be Catherine?
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Limerick/Ballycummin/Dooradoyle/624049
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline gerardine

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 10:59 GMT (UK) »
Thank you both,yes they are the family concerned.  I have been hoping to find descendants of Michael and Hellene.  Anne Wall and Catrine (Catherine) were Michaels sisters.  Anne died shortly after giving birth to stillborn baby.
 Michael also had an uncle Patrick, brother of my gtgrandfather Michael who was born in 1865 and may have emigrated to America and aunties Catherine and Ann who may have married. I have the baptismal  records of the children of  Michael Daly and Catherine Burns my gtgtgrandparents.
The earlier headstone refers to Connor Daly and his wife Anne.  It was Anne's name on the Tithe Applotment records and later Michael Snr took over that tenancy at Dooradoyle.  At the time there was also a Patrick in the Tithe records.  I am uncertain if Connor was an uncle, or whether he was Michaels father I have been unable to trace back records that far.  I'm hoping if there are descendants they may be able to tell me.  Michael named his eldest son Patrick and his 2nd son Cornelius, this Patrick died in childhood and a later son was named Patrick.  By naming traditions it would follow that Patrick was Michaels father but why then did Michael take over the tenancy as Connor and Anne had a son John who erected the first headstone and why did Michaels family then be the only Dalys of the next generation to be buried there.  Also Michael and Catherine named their eldest daughter Ann.
I would really like to know if there were other Dalys, siblings of The first John and Michael and whether they were brothers or cousins.