Author Topic: Christian St, St George In the East London  (Read 2127 times)

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Christian St, St George In the East London
« on: Tuesday 26 January 16 10:40 GMT (UK) »
First post on the London boards so a bit lost. I may have found someone in the 1841 census living as a boarder in the above Street.

A German sugar boiler so working in one of the refineries I would presume. I know about the sugar refineries in general as I have followed this man around the country. The sugar baker database is a great source.

He gets married in Cork in 1844 so he doesn't hang around long. I wouldn't expect him to turn up in many searches in the area since he was there for so little time ( that is why I haven't named him. I don't want anyone to waste time looking)

Not looking for anything in particular. Would just like some general chat about a geographical area I know very little about.

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Christian St, St George In the East London
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 12:11 GMT (UK) »
I expect sugarbakers himself will be here later, but meanwhile are you aware of this very informative site for St George in the East?

http://www.stgite.org.uk/history.html

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 12:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes I found this recently.

Placing my man all over the country. This one in Christian St is a long shot but a possibility.

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 16:14 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, Bookbox  :)  ... yes, that's a very good site.

Christian Street became very prominent in the 19thC for sugar refining. The very large sugarhouses there outlasted all but one of the East End refineries into the 1890s.

Maps at  www.mawer.clara.net/white6.html  and  www.mawer.clara.net/white4.html  show the area, with red dots indicating the streets with refineries.

1841 Henry Schumaker age 22, Christian St London fits very nicely with 1861 HS age 42, Grove St Glasgow and 1871 HS age 48, Craighall St Glasgow, however  :-\  there was also another 1861 Henry Schumacher age 41, Gowers Walk London.
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 16:48 GMT (UK) »
I said it was a long shot  ;D

I will try and track them both. Only just confirmed my man in Cork in 1844  :)

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 17:20 GMT (UK) »
I wish I knew how to link to other threads

Sugar baker....I had another thread regarding a wedding in 1872, the daughter of my man.

She was married at Ebenezer House on Craighill Rd, Glasgow, a house which I believe was opposite Murdock & Doddrell

I see above that you already have him in Craighill Road  ;D

The other thread was on Lanarkshire board, subject Ebenezer House

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 01 February 16 19:58 GMT (UK) »
I have found an invaluable aid for tracing my London ancestors has been the series fo historical A-Zs.

These are:

1. The A - Z of Elizabethan London, which reproduces the "Copperplate Map" of 1553 - 1559
2. The A - Z of Restoration London, which reproduces Ogilby and Morgan's map of 1676
3. The A - Z of Georgian London, which reproduces Rocque's map of 1746
4. The A - Z of Regency London, which reproduces Richard Horwood's map of 1799 - 1819
5. The A - Z of Victorian London, which reproduces G. W. Bacon's map of 1888
6. The A - Z of Edwardian London, which reproduces Bacon's revised map of 1912

I have bought all except Georgian London from Stanford's. Georgian London is currently unavailable, unfortunately. Reproductions of the map can be had (and I have one of them), but it doesn't have the all-important grid and street index which all the others have.

It's not a cheap investment, by any means, to buy them all - but I have found them invaluable in piecing together the peregrinations of my London ancestors.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline curiousgeorge1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 February 16 20:34 GMT (UK) »
Those sound great  :)

Offline sugarbakers

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • 12 Church St, MENT - the family sugarhouse, 1805
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 November 17 16:41 GMT (UK) »
curiousgeorge

Henry Schumaker pansman 9 Bruce St Greenock

... appears for just a single year in the 1858/9 Post Office Greenock Directory
Almeroth, Germany (probably Hessen). Mawer, Softley, Johnson, Lancaster, Tatum, Bucknall (E.Yorks, Nfk, Lincs)

Sugar Refiners & Sugarbakers ... www.mawer.clara.net ...
50,000+ database entries, 270+ fatalities, 210+ fires, history, maps, directory, sales, blog, book, 500+ wills, etc.

WDYTYA magazine July 2017