Author Topic: Alexander Fleming Richmond  (Read 2101 times)

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Fleming Richmond
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 16:52 GMT (UK) »
Yes, Grant actually seems to have been a misprint somehow, it was actually a Mary.
So there was Mary, Andrew, William, Jessie (my great grannie) John, Catherine, Annie and Robert.  Most of the men seemed to be in army in UK.  All worked in the Jute industry until old enough to sign up to the army, then they all go off.  I have a letter from the Salvation Army in Canada replying to my Great Grannie (Jessie above) saying that sadly they could not find any trace of her brother Alexander Fleming Richmond.  This was in early 1920's.  So I know that contact had been lost, despite him being a good writer up to that point (have letter from him to his sister from 1917)
His service record suggests that he may have liked a drink, so maybe he fell into bad ways and a death wasn't even registered.  I just keep hoping that as the years go by, a new record might pop up with him on it!

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 16:59 GMT (UK) »
There are some passenger lists of employees on ships, and there are a number from the 1920's/30's with a Scottish Alexander Richmond of the right age.  There seems to be one Alexander Richmond working the ships who was taller, but another seems to have a height that matches the information on the aforementioned border crossing.  Maybe that's why he can't be nailed down anywhere.

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 17:00 GMT (UK) »
Presume Jessie would be the Wallis (Wallace) mentioned on that border crossing  ???

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline rowanali

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 17:06 GMT (UK) »
Yes Sandra, it is a miss-spelling of Wallace.

I will have to look at the ship records - that would explain nothing on census info.  I just wish I could find a death for him,
ali

Offline RJ137

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 17:49 GMT (UK) »
Another border crossing record for an Alexander Richmond in 1918. It mentions the same sister     Sister Mrs P Wallis and brother Andrew as the 1923 record did? This one has Alexander's YOB as 1871?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XPT7-Z2K

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 18:03 GMT (UK) »
Scotland, Select Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950 - Alexander Fleming Richmond - 27 May 1873 - Father Alexander Richmond and Catherine Girty (probably transcription error)

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Another border crossing record for an Alexander Richmond in 1918. It mentions the same sister     Sister Mrs P Wallis and brother Andrew as the 1923 record did? This one has Alexander's YOB as 1871?

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XPT7-Z2K

I looked at the image of that one, and I think the 1918 date is incorrect and it's actually the same crossing as the one above.

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 22:10 GMT (UK) »
There are some passenger lists of employees on ships, and there are a number from the 1920's/30's with a Scottish Alexander Richmond of the right age.  There seems to be one Alexander Richmond working the ships who was taller, but another seems to have a height that matches the information on the aforementioned border crossing.  Maybe that's why he can't be nailed down anywhere.

There is a Merchant Seaman record , with photograph, of Alexander Richmond , rating F/man - fireman I think , born 27 May 1874 Dundee, serving on ships 124093 and 135583 from Dec 1918 to May 1919. 124093 is the Mauretania and 135583 the Aquitania. No details of any voyages after 1919 on the record. I wonder if it's the right man - the birthdate is close.
Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 26 January 16 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Think you have the right guy Christine - its amazing how many times the records are exactly one year out - usually WW Drafts  ???

Regards
Sandra