Author Topic: Age and occupation on marriage certificte  (Read 10977 times)

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Age and occupation on marriage certificte
« Reply #45 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 14:31 GMT (UK) »
Firstly as William WALKER senior who married in 1872 to Mary QUINLAN was a soldier, Mary could either be a local to the area or the daughter of a local. Possibly the latter as her father's occupation was shown as farmer and she wasn't described as a servant or with an occupation that would take her away from home.  Being full age she would be presumed born pre1851 (i.e. 1872-21)

If William was still in the army in 1901 and 1911 she could be shown as his initials only WW in a barracks return or he may have been abroad. Asking for army records to see where his regiment was could help.
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline GGYD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. Thanks for your reply's. My source is an old Army pay book of his that does not have a lot of info in it but what it does say is that his age was 32 when he attessted into the 3rd Dragoon Guards and the date was 22nd of Oct 1879 so thats where i got his year of birth. He left the army and rejoined not long after. How do i go about on Ancestry or FindMyPast getting a census for a military establishment? I've tried putting in a number of different words but nothing? Thanks again

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 15:41 GMT (UK) »
I thought myluck! established in reply #14 that Mary Quinlan was from Roseville, Carrick-on-Suir.
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 16:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello again. Thanks for your reply's. My source is an old Army pay book of his that does not have a lot of info in it but what it does say is that his age was 32 when he attessted into the 3rd Dragoon Guards and the date was 22nd of Oct 1879 so thats where i got his year of birth. He left the army and rejoined not long after. How do i go about on Ancestry or FindMyPast getting a census for a military establishment? I've tried putting in a number of different words but nothing? Thanks again

The church record of the marriage of William Walker & Mary Quinlan in 1872 states he was soldier then and his father was a blacksmith. If he is the same man as yours in 1879 which seems to be the case based on the children's records located he must have been in a previous regiment which is where the 14th Hussars reference possibly came from.

1847 is pre civil registrations so locating a birth record is dependent on a baptism record being available.

Searching on ancestry or findmypast is based on their search engine data
Whatever you type in and request they give back
Sometimes you have to use several variations of spelling to find what you are looking for
You can filter your results by clicking on the relevant title e.g. military or census to see what has resulted.
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 16:36 GMT (UK) »
I thought myluck! established in reply #14 that Mary Quinlan was from Roseville, Carrick-on-Suir.

Josey
This was the address given on her marriage record which is not quite the same as she may not have been living in her original home
Further generations:

Offline GGYD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 22:30 GMT (UK) »
Thank you again. On the Irish census site, where would you type in barracks etc to see what it brings up please? Also, on his pay book, his Dad's name is not on there but his Mum's name is Matilda. His children are on it, william, Richard, and Mary, but not Elizabeth?

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: Wednesday 03 February 16 23:10 GMT (UK) »
This is a link to the 1901 where there are 351 WWs but you can see fairly easily who is in a barracks as opposed to a workhouse, hospital or institution LINK

when you add the county of birth as Kildare there are only 3 and none seem to be the correct age nor in barracks however he may not have given the correct county of birth

on the other information
his Dad may have been dead when he joined therefore not listed
and Elizabeth was born in 1880 and may not have been added

Further generations:

Offline GGYD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: Thursday 04 February 16 07:15 GMT (UK) »
Here i go again with my thank you's ha ha. But thank you all again, i'll try and use all the search methods. Oh, and Elizabeth was born 1876, perhaps she died? You've all been brilliant, cheers

Offline GGYD

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: Monday 08 February 16 16:49 GMT (UK) »
Hello
To all that helped me out on this one i have answers, just thought i'd share them with you.
William Walker was in the 6th Dragoons throughout William, Richard, Elizabeth's birth. He transferred to the 3rd Dragoon Guards in 1879, Mary was born in 1880. He and his family went to Muttra in India In 1884 with the 3rd Dragoon Guards.
I then discovered two documents on FindMyPast that answers the 'can't find them on the 1901 census' question.
The documents are Muttra burial registers. On them are listed Mary Walker died Aug 16th 1885 aged 5 died of diarrhea Daughter of Pte Walker 3DG,

William Walker died Aug 17th 1885 aged 38 died of cholera, Pte 3DG

Richard Walker died Aug 25th 1885 aged 8 died of cholera/dysentery, Son of late Pte Walker.

Mary lost her husband and two children in the space of a few days.

Its such a sad, sad end.

I still don't know what happened to Elizabeth?

Thank you all again