Author Topic: Tosh/Christie family of Coleraine  (Read 5806 times)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Tosh/Christie family of Coleraine
« Reply #27 on: Thursday 17 March 16 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Some or all of these Tosh families may be related to each other but all the Christian names that you've mentioned are very common so you shouldn't assume any relationships based on those names.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Pennines

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Thursday 17 March 16 10:39 GMT (UK) »
I admit I have 'lost the plot' on this query somewhat.

However -- of the baptisms you have found on Family Search - have you seen the filmed record of, or the actual parish register for these please?

Family Search is wonderful but only gives basic information. I was just wondering if the father's occupation might have been Army based at some point- OR he was in a job which resulted in him originating from elsewhere and simply settling in or around Coleraine.

The reason I mention this is because, coincidentally, I have been assisting someone with exactly the same problem as you. It transpired that the father was originally a sailor and had actually been born in England - he just settled in Ireland (must have liked the friendly people!)

I still have a feeling that the name 'Tosh' sounds more Scottish than Irish, although I may be wrong of course, and frequently I am.
Sight of the actual marriage record to Hannah Patten would be useful also.
Places of interest;
Lancashire, West Yorkshire, Southern Ireland, Scotland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Thursday 17 March 16 11:04 GMT (UK) »
Tosh is a surname found in Ulster (many Scottish families did settle here).

of the baptisms you have found on Family Search - have you seen the filmed record of, or the actual parish register for these please?
Do you mean extracted Irish births from civil registration (1864-c1881)?

Offline banntrout

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Thursday 17 March 16 11:08 GMT (UK) »
Another piece of info which helps to tie in is a comment from my cousin at the funeral of his mother my father's sister maude a guy called arthur tosh a vegetable seller from ballymoney introduced himself as maude's cousin ,after investigation ive discovered arthur is a son of hugh tosh and i believe grandson of james and hannah and therefore william would be his uncle and a brother of hugh.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Thursday 17 March 16 11:13 GMT (UK) »
Another piece of info which helps to tie in is a comment from my cousin at the funeral of his mother my father's sister maude a guy called arthur tosh a vegetable seller from ballymoney introduced himself as maude's cousin ,after investigation ive discovered arthur is a son of hugh tosh and i believe grandson of james and hannah and therefore william would be his uncle and a brother of hugh.

Now that does give a few more leads.... off to check my files...

Added- a possible relative to contact here-
https://www.facebook.com/742387465782340/photos/a.742393122448441.1073741828.742387465782340/878428838844868/?type=1&theater

Offline zaaptodd

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Tuesday 20 September 16 14:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
I have been researching my own family (Todd)links in Coleraine and have found a Martha Tosh aged 17 in the 1901 census living as a servant with Daniel Todd and his family at 27 Nursery Road/ avenue.

Offline Mcmullanci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 01 February 21 12:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi, just been reading through this blog and I’m wondering if your Tosh family is the same as the one I’ve started researching into.

My 2nd great grandfather John McMullan married a Sarah Tosh on the 4th April 1912 at castlerock, parish of dunboe. They had 8 children; Minnie, Sadie, ina, Samuel, John, Robert Douglas (who is my great grandfather), Mary Jane and Alexander.

I’m trying to find more about the Tosh family. I know Sarah’s dad was called Robert. Like I said I’ve only started so don’t know much yet.

Is my family link the same tosh link to you?

Regards
Claire
McMullan
Brown
McAlister
King
Tannahill
Hamilton
Sinclair
Tosh
Wray

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Muckish the flat-topped mountain
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Monday 01 February 21 19:25 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat  :)

My 2nd great grandfather John McMullan married a Sarah Tosh on the 4th April 1912 at castlerock, parish of dunboe. They had 8 children; Minnie, Sadie, ina, Samuel, John, Robert Douglas (who is my great grandfather), Mary Jane and Alexander.

Here are links to the first five children, for others to view-
Alexander 1912, Mary Jane 1913, Robert 1916, John 1918 and Elizabeth 1920 (hers cannot be displayed probably because it was registered in early 1921).
https://www.rootschat.com/links/01q9i/

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Mcmullanci

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: Monday 01 February 21 20:25 GMT (UK) »
Thank you .. :)

Who’s the picture off? I’m nee to this site so not sure how it works etc.

Claire
McMullan
Brown
McAlister
King
Tannahill
Hamilton
Sinclair
Tosh
Wray